This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

Take Your Time

Thrift shopping can become very overwhelming, very quickly. The endless racks of unorganized clothes can be intimidating to even the most experienced shoppers. Don’t give your shopping trip a time limit. This will allow you to look carefully through the entire store. Take your time trying on the items too. Make sure you truly love the items you buy and ensure that they fit properly. Take a moment to check for tears or stains as well.

Take a Second Look

When taking a second trip around the store, you’ll likely find some awesome pieces you accidentally skipped over the first time through. On a recent thrifting trip I was disappointed by the shoe section on my first pass through. After browsing the rest of the store, I took a second look and ended up finding a pair of vintage leather boots. Waiting for a friend to finish trying on clothes? Take another look through your favorite sections. You never know what you might have missed!

Set a Budget and Stick to It

I always bring a set amount in cash and leave my credit card at home to prevent temptation. Usually I bring thirty to fifty dollars max, but rarely do I spend it all. Personally, I set myself two budgets, one in case I don’t find a splurge worthy item, and one incase I do.

Know Your Store

Thrift stores almost always have a tag color of the day. Some stores, such as Salvation Army have a day of the week where the entire store is on sale. Check online, on Facebook, or call the store to ask when special discounts or sales will be going on. Most thrift stores also offer a student discount of around 15-20%.

Don’t Get Discouraged

Not every thrifting trip is going to be a huge hit. Usually I end up leaving the store with only one or two items. An important part of thrifting successfully is not deciding beforehand what you plan to buy. Saying that you must leave the store with a new pair of high waisted jeans or a new cool sweater is only setting you up to be disappointed. It seems to me that I’m most successful when I don’t go into the store with any preconceived ideas of what I’m going to find.

Know When to Save and When to Splurge

Some items are worth the splurge. Before forking over a few extra dollars on a piece, check the tag to see if the material or brand is worth it. One of my favorite items I’ve splurged on while thrifting is a vintage Chanel sweater. While forking over fifteen dollars for a used sweater sounds like a lot, considering how much the original price would be, I got a great deal. Not sure if its really worth it? Don’t buy it. Only spend your money on items you truly love.

Try It On

First year SPU student and my personal thrifting buddy, Caroline Dyer, once told me “if you like it on the hanger then you’ll love it on.” She explained that she always tries on the most absurd things she finds herself drawn towards. “It’s a win-win. You either try it on and laugh at how terrible it looks, or try it on and fall in love with it,” she said laughing.  When thrifting always try things on. Always!

Bring a Buddy

Thrifting is always more fun with friends. They’ll keep you on budget, keep you from buying ridiculous things, and help you score some great pieces. It’s a great way to spend the day shopping without breaking the bank. Aim to bring a friend or two with similar styles and similar budgets.

Looking for a great thrift store?

Capital Hill Goodwill

115 Belmont Ave E, Seattle, WA 98102

(206) 812-7583

Sarah Maberry is a fashion writer based in NYC. She is graduating in 2019 with a dual degree in Fashion Business Management from FIT and Apparel Design and Merchandising from Seattle Pacific University. Sarah started her writing career at the SPU Chapter of Her Campus and has since worked with various publications for event coverage and style writing. When she isn't busy writing she loves running, watching That 70's Show, and finding the best $1 pizza in Manhattan.
Fashion merchandising student at Seattle Pacific University where I aspire to become a bridal stylist, fashion stylist or trend forecaster. Other hobbies of mine include photography, sketching, and blogging . Follow my style blog at www.stylistinseattle.com