This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

After almost a full year  of the pandemic, there finally seems to be a small light at the end of the tunnel. Now don’t get too excited, there’s still a lot of vaccines to administer before the globe, the U.S and Washington state are in the clear.

Have you been jealous of your fully vaccinated grandparents or parents? Saturday Night Live sums it up perfectly in their recent skit, “Boomers Got the Vax” where cast members sing, “The boomers got the vax. No rumors, just facts, yeah. Give it up if you’re 70+. Everyone else gettin’ jealous of us, jealous of us.” 

Well you’re in luck, as of April 15th all people 16 and  older in the state of Washington will be eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine. But how do you sign up, get approved, and make an appointment? There are few steps you have to take to book your vaccine appointment and follow along to ensure your vaccine is lined up.    (PS – These directions are specifically for people in WA State. Insurance, proof of residency, and immigration status is not required. Be prepared to bring a valid ID such as a driver’s license, school ID, or passport.)

First visit either the Washington Department of Health or City of Seattle’s websites to join notification lists and fill out eligibility forms. 

Depending on availability, you will either be sent to a form for your information to be notified when appointments become available or you will immediately be sent to a vaccine locator to make an appointment. Oftentimes these sites will disclose what vaccine they are administering so do your research and decide which vaccine you’re interested in. If you have no preference then it’s even easier! 

Be sure to make an appointment that you will be able to make  so that vaccine doses are not wasted. Many vaccination sites ask that you arrive 10-15 minutes early for check in and to ensure the process moves along in an orderly fashion. 

Upon arrival they will typically ask for your identification and then verify your date of birth. Then they will help make your second dose appointment, if you are receiving Moderna or Pfizer, which both require two shots. Typically they will schedule Moderna 28 days apart and Pfizer 21 days. 

Before you know it, someone will administer the vaccine with the slightest of pokes into your preferred arm. After the shot is given, you will most likely be directed to an observation site. There you will be required to wait for approximately 15 min to ensure there are no allergic reactions. 

Before you know it you’ll be half or fully vaccinated. But be aware, the pandemic isn’t fully over. You’ll still be required to social distance, wear a mask, and implement precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19. But you’re one step closer to getting the U.S and Washington State to herd immunity and put an end to the pandemic. 

Cheers to that light at the end of the tunnel and fingers crossed “normal” or whatever “normal” means anymore will return. 

Tori McArthur is a Journalism and Sociology major at Seattle Pacific University. She loves to travel and lives by Indy Blue's mantra of "creating the life you want." You can probably find her at a thrift store in Seattle with a coffee in hand.