Everything Sad is Untrue: A Book Review

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

Everything Sad is Untrue by Daniel Nayeri is a fictionalized memoir. Nayeri is an Iranian immigrant who moved to Oklahoma in the ‘90s to flee religious oppression. Beautifully written with just the right amount of comedy, Nayeri offers up a complex tapestry of stories to capture the intense story that is his own. Nayeri is able to incorporate myths, legends, family lore, and his own memories to guide the reader through his move across the world. 

This book resonated with me on a personal level. While my own story is very different from Nayeri’s, I have never come across someone who was able to put into words some of the feelings one can have when they move halfway across the globe. I moved to China when I was seven, and while it was a really amazing experience, it was also really hard. Nayeri is able to write about all parts of himself in a way no other author I have ever read has. 

The book does not have a clear organization like other novels. Instead, it reads more like a diary mixed with a history book. The timeline moves back and forth. While some may say his book is hard to follow, I would say it is an accurate depiction of what human memory is like. The title of the book is a nod to this very sentiment. While Nayeri’s story has a lot of sadness in it,  there also is a lot of good. Our memories are not reliable and maybe sometimes we convince ourselves that everything sad is untrue. The fragmented style of his story he describes as the “shame of the refugee.” However, I don’t think he’s really ashamed of his story. Instead, I think he is trying to explain the complexity of being a refugee. He has to hold onto so many memories from two very different cultures and try to make sense of them all. This book is sprinkled with Iranian legend and lore which is juxtaposed against the nonexistent tradition of oral storytelling in white American culture. This starch contrast leads to some of the funniest stories but also some of the saddest and darkest.

I don’t think you need to be a refugee or an international traveler to enjoy this book. I think it can be relatable for anyone. The whole point is to show how the stories of our families and the fairy tales we grew up with shape and form our own stories. While the novel centers around Nayeri, he includes the accounts of his family members as well. His mother is described as truly unstoppable. Without giving too much away, she is undeterred, resilient, intelligent, and patient with people who humiliate and ignore her. The book makes you reflect on who has impacted your life. Who has been the unstoppable figure in your story? This book comments on the fleetingness of memory, the power of familial stories passed down, and general truths about growing up. The book captures the human experience so well and that’s why I think everyone should read it.

Haley Blain is the President of Her Campus SPU! She joined Her Campus as a freshman and has thoroughly enjoyed the community. She is in charge of overseeing the direction of the club’s content and is responsible for being a correspondent to the HCHQ. She is currently a junior at SPU double majoring in Global Development and Economics. She lived in Shanghai, China for six and a half years. This influenced her decision to major in Global Development. Her writing experience includes writing for Her Campus since her freshman year, writing for the Falcon (SPU’s campus newspaper), and Bethany Community Church. At BCC, she created and wrote her own handbook for their missions department evaluating partnerships between the church and non-profits. It’s pretty obvious that Haley loves writing. She also enjoys reading, hiking, CrossFit, and dance. She is an avid music listener and likes to stream on KSPU (SPU’s radio station) with custom playlists that have new themes each week. This bio would not be complete without addressing her deep love for Taylor Swift’s music. Concerts are some of her favorite events to attend. Some highlights include Taylor Swift (Rep & Eras), Greta Van Fleet, and Alicia Keys.