Campus Celeb Professor Nienhuis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

How long have you worked at SPU?

Post PH.D? Sense 2004, so 11 years.

What do you teach here?

I work in the school of theology; I teach the bible, New Testament, UFound 1000, and reconciliation. It touches minor things and brings a doctoral perspective. I ask questions like what difference it makes if God is a trinity or not. I have a lot of fun.

What lead you to the field of theology?

Theology chose me. I started here, I went to SPU for my undergraduate. I would say I was lead to theology by having a strong sense of ministry and falling in love with academics. I had a real sense of calling, without that I may as well be in a hole in the ground.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of your job?

Working at a college level is a privilege. And I mean privilege in the political sense, not just the joy of being here. This community confirms freedom to do what you want to do. For me that means the freedom for reading, writing, and working with students. That’s where the magic happens. The disadvantage is the risk isolation. My research area really only includes about 200 people. So I really have to stay plugged into the real world of normal people.

What do you research?

I primarily research New Testament, and formation, called canonization, of Catholic Epistles. I research how they were chosen to be in the bible, why, and what for. Most study the point of composition. I study the 2nd to 5th century, who used 2nd peter? Can we get in the minds of ancient Christians, what does that teach us about the time and the people?

There are a lot of students at Seattle Pacific who really love you! What do you think makes you such a well-liked professor?

Students tell me I try hard to do two things. First; I do not think of myself as the sage on the stage, but rather as the guide by your side. I feel like a student among students, we have a lot to learn together. When we discuss readings in class I always learn something new. I’m just being personal, friendly, and a human being.  Second; I work hard to make classes challenging. It’s funny I always have a big waitlist for my classes, but by week two students are panicking about the reading and work. But, students need it, and love it. Some professors are personal but not challenging and the class can be dull, while others are challenging but not personal. You need both the challenge and the personal relationships.

What kinds of food do you eat?

Well, I have eating issues. I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disses earlier this year. It really narrows the foods that I can eat. When I think about, say desserts, I think of fruit and coconut, it used to be pie. I’ve been learning to make my own foods, and eating differently. 

That seems like it would cause a drastic life change, how is that going?

It didn’t take me long to figure out, once I realized eating was making me sick, that made eating things that made me feel good easy. Food is taken for granted, we’re so used to taking something from the cabinet and just eating. It like a spiritual discipline with intentionality, but it really slows you down, in a good way. And I’m having a lot of fun learning to cook!

You said you are a very personable professor, does that make it hard to grade students?

There are many forms of assessment. I teach by a flipped classroom model, students do the reading and write reactions to it, and we work together on it. Grading is about engaging. Then it’s reduced to a final exam and it makes it less personal. It’s so much different than just saying someone is wrong. I know my perspective can’t catch everything, I always learn new things. Which in turn fuels my research.   

What are your thoughts on biblical interpretation?

Well, hmm, that’s big! One way to put it is; when people are more worried about inspiration of the text than the inspiration of the person. We pay attention to who has quotations memorized but don’t pay attention to quotes and their inspiration.

How do you personally deal with witnessing injustice in the world?

Essential belief of these who champion belief of those who champion is that God’s justice is an inevitable future. I feel hurt, broken, and confused about problems. I have to remember my calling is not to be the solution but to participate. I cannot solve poverty, bit if I believe God is working to solve it and I believe in God’s inevitable future of salvation, then I should align myself with what God is doing.

Is there something interesting you would like to share with whomever reads this article?

This article is primarily being read by women? (Yes!) Well, I would be remiss if I was talking to a women and didn’t say that all people can appreciate God’s salvation and the implications of it. Racial and class distinctions are broken down, thus a defense of the idea women are submissive in faith. We think we affirm it but our lives don’t reflect it. Men tend to be too aware of their bodies and women should know they are fully equipped to participate in God’s ministry.

Hello viewer, my name's Carolyn! I am a sophomore at Seattle Pacific University. I am an avid reader, singer, and music lover. I am very excited to try my hand at writing, or at least writing something that will be viewed by other people. I'm currently perusing a BA in Psychology and a English literature minor. I loves to talk to people and get to know their stories. I believe in loving yourself, and the people around you. I love the way it sounds when it rains, and the taste of coffee. And I love Seattle. I'm looking forward to the coming years at college, where I have the opportunity to experience life, laughter, and fun.
Fashion merchandising student at Seattle Pacific University where I aspire to become a bridal stylist, fashion stylist or trend forecaster. Other hobbies of mine include photography, sketching, and blogging . Follow my style blog at www.stylistinseattle.com