Tayler Ulmer Earns Prestigious Harry S. Truman Award

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.

Tayler Ulmer, a junior from Chicago, Illinois is to be awarded the Harry S. Truman Scholarship Kemi Oyewole, a current senior was the College’s first recipient last year. Each Truman Scholar receives up to $30,000 for graduate study, according to the Truman Scholarship’s website. This year, Ulmer was one of two students from an HBCU selected among more than 650 well-qualified applicants nationwide.

“Being a first-generation student the scholarship is important and special to me,” Ulmer says. “Just the idea of having the opportunity to attend graduate school is amazing. I’m honored to be selected as a recipient and welcomed into a family of other recipients who have all been inviting.”

Ulmer is a double major in International Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, and  is also the founder of the founder of My Brother’s Keeper mentorship program, and chartering member of Girls Going Global. She hopes to use the scholarship to help her develop into a scholar, leader, and public servant. In the future, she wants to become a sociology professor, and hopes to use cross-cultural tools while teaching abroad to improve the lives of students. 

Ulmer was selected as one of sixty students in the U.S. based on her strong record of public service and desire to be a change agent. Because of her commitment to earn an advanced degree, she will receive financial support for graduate school, leadership training, and fellowship as she continues her journey in making a difference in public service.

Many Truman Scholars go on to serve in public office, as public defenders, leaders of non-profit-organization, or educators.

Danyelle Carter has always been excited about building beneficial relationships, sharing stories and managing her best self. She is an aspiring publicist majoring in Comparative Women's Studies at her dream school, the illustrious Spelman College in Atlanta, GA. She chose to continue her education at Spelman after graduating summa cum laude from Miami Dade College with a joint associate degree in Mass Communications and Journalism. Currently a junior at Spelman, Danyelle hopes to bring contemporary perspectives to commercial appeal by pursuing entrepreneurship of owning her own firm. If you ask her what her aspirations are, her eyes would light up, her smile would widen and she would squeal: "to be the Communicator-in-Chief of my own PR/Social Interaction agency!"