Spelman Celebrates Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.

Spelman praises and glorifies students and alumnae who have achieved something that they consider successful. Spelman specifically follows their students and alumnae during their matriculation and post-graduation status. A pedestal is erected that declares, “This is success and this is what you should strive for!”

And in turn this quietly dismisses those whose stories are not as grand, or not as extensive.

Success is a wonderful achievement. It is what most people attain to—it is what most people struggle to accomplish their entire lives. But what exactly is success? What is this thing that stories are made of—this thing that songs are sung about?

Success is everything and anything. It is truly something that cannot be defined, as it has different definitions for different people.

However, in their idolization of a certain type of success, Spelman fails to highlight those whose definitions of success do not fit their own. Spelman has unknowingly created a hierarchy in which their idea of success is at the top.

Success is justified as a plausible thing—that is unquestioned. However, Spelman ignores people who are deemed unworthy. And so, if one does not fall into their category of success, then one will not receive recognition.

Success has become this living, breathing example of what a student should strive for. There is nothing wrong with success or with the people that achieve it. There is however, something wrong with the idolization of success.

Many Spelman women change the world and achieve great success throughout their lives and that should truly be commended, but we most also remember those that achieve the small successes—the small successes that shape their entire lives. The small successes that are truly just as beautiful as the ones Spelman emphasizes. 

Danyelle Carter has always been excited about building beneficial relationships, sharing stories and managing her best self. She is an aspiring publicist majoring in Comparative Women's Studies at her dream school, the illustrious Spelman College in Atlanta, GA. She chose to continue her education at Spelman after graduating summa cum laude from Miami Dade College with a joint associate degree in Mass Communications and Journalism. Currently a junior at Spelman, Danyelle hopes to bring contemporary perspectives to commercial appeal by pursuing entrepreneurship of owning her own firm. If you ask her what her aspirations are, her eyes would light up, her smile would widen and she would squeal: "to be the Communicator-in-Chief of my own PR/Social Interaction agency!"