She Wills What She Wants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.

Feminine. Fierce. Revolutionary.

These are just three words that help encapsulate the essence of Misty Copeland, the ballerina that has taken the world by storm and is changing the face of ballet one performance at a time. Last Thursday, Spelman students and other guests packed into Sisters Chapel to hear Copeland and President Tatum as they discussed Copeland’s memoir “My Life in Motion”.

Copeland who began her dance training at the age of 13– which is relatively late for an aspiring professional dancer– was considered a ballet prodigy and rose quickly up the ranks with the support of her teachers and immediate family. Copeland’s intensive training undoubtedly paid off when she became a member of the Corps de Ballet of the American Ballet Theater in 2001 and was appointed soloist in 2007. Despite the immense success that Copeland has enjoyed however, her journey has not always been so simple. Copeland is only the second African American soloist in the American Ballet Theatre’s history and she is currently the only Black dancer in the company. Copeland’s race as well as her curvier body type has given her particular challenges in this field where difference is certainly not always welcomed.

However, what makes Copeland’s story one of triumph instead of defeat has been her determination to dismantle the rigid outlines inherent in the ballet world and to use her platform to inspire ballerinas of color to follow in her footsteps and realize their own dreams. At Thursday’s talk,Copeland entered onto the stage and was immediately moved to tears by the opportunity to speak with an audience filled with young Black women– a group who she is particularly intent on reaching out to. Copeland said that her work which extends beyond the stage is “for the little brown girls” and she stated with conviction that young girls of color “should be able to have limitless dreams” and not have any doors closed off to them. Copeland is also intent on using her voice to usher in greater diversity in the ballet sphere. “The ballet world is being exposed”, said Copeland on Thursday, “They’re going to have to make some changes.”

Copeland views herself as an integral part of that change, stating that by getting her foot in the door she leaves a little open for the next Black ballerina to go even further issuing a domino effect that will hopefully allow the ballet stage to reflect out ever diversifying world. Perhaps the best part of Copeland’s story is that it resonates not only with young dancers but also with anyone who has had dreams of doing something that seemed unattainable or entering doors that felt barred off to them. Copeland’s career and her platform is particularly awe-inspiring in that she has had the power to obtain phenomenal success within the Ballet world while at the same time, she has also had the conviction to critique and expect more of that very world which she loves so much. As Copeland’s under armour campaign states she is willing what she wants for herself while inspiring– if not challenging– us to do the same.  

Danyelle Carter has always been excited about building beneficial relationships, sharing stories and managing her best self. She is an aspiring publicist majoring in Comparative Women's Studies at her dream school, the illustrious Spelman College in Atlanta, GA. She chose to continue her education at Spelman after graduating summa cum laude from Miami Dade College with a joint associate degree in Mass Communications and Journalism. Currently a junior at Spelman, Danyelle hopes to bring contemporary perspectives to commercial appeal by pursuing entrepreneurship of owning her own firm. If you ask her what her aspirations are, her eyes would light up, her smile would widen and she would squeal: "to be the Communicator-in-Chief of my own PR/Social Interaction agency!"