This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.

Spelman College is leading the way in shining a light on the issues of human trafficking as well as sexual assault this week.  From a discussion panel on the problem of sex trafficking to a beautiful display of young women testimonials of survival in upper Manley, Spelman College is bringing an awareness to the issues of sexual violence and sex slavery.  Both events can teach one about the power of putting words into action and yielding successful results.

Statistics conclude that 200-500 young girls are sold for sex each month while their pimps are receiving over $290 million each year in the city of Atlanta.  For the most part, we will never even guess how common sexual trafficking is in Atlanta.  Thanks to the contribution of our world famous Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, many of the young, exploited girls and women are brought into the United States from Thailand, Mexico, the Philippines, Haiti and India.  However, it may just be happening to the individual you almost bumped into at Lenox Mall.  As representatives of various sex trafficking prevention and rescue centers, the Spelman College community received a glimpse into the work that the panelists commit to on a daily basis.  Directors representing WellSpring Living, League of Atlanta, and Youth Spark spoke on the work that they provide and how they are following through on how to be a choice to change the world of sex slavery.  As the former Atlanta National Alumnae Association of Spelman College, Dr. Jackson, put it: WE are “coming together to make a change for children…we are here about equity and justice for youth.”

Just as sex slavery is a heavy topic, sexual assault is as well.  Justice comes in many forms and upper Manley’s display of sexual assault survivors is a testament to just that.  A number of strong, Spelman women took pictures displaying their own stories of sexual assault whether at home or during their years at Spelman.  After seeing a problem, sophomore Synclaire Butler gathered young women and encouraged them to become a model for a choice to change the way we look at sexual assault.  The display allowed young women to stand and establish that all women are precious and should never have to experience assault.

Spelman College women are no longer putting up with mediocre and are beginning to see an issue and tackle it.  Just as the sexual assault survivors were brave enough to share their stories and take a stand, we can begin to do the same with human trafficking.  We are at a primetime to go out and change lives.  Atlanta is a perfect place to address issues of human trafficking.  If we can use pictures as an affirmation of empowerment, we can begin to spread the word on the selling of men, women and children.  Everyone is precious.  No one is so invaluable to be stripped of their innocence.

Danyelle Carter has always been excited about building beneficial relationships, sharing stories and managing her best self. She is an aspiring publicist majoring in Comparative Women's Studies at her dream school, the illustrious Spelman College in Atlanta, GA. She chose to continue her education at Spelman after graduating summa cum laude from Miami Dade College with a joint associate degree in Mass Communications and Journalism. Currently a junior at Spelman, Danyelle hopes to bring contemporary perspectives to commercial appeal by pursuing entrepreneurship of owning her own firm. If you ask her what her aspirations are, her eyes would light up, her smile would widen and she would squeal: "to be the Communicator-in-Chief of my own PR/Social Interaction agency!"
Endia Hayes is a junior, Sociology and Anthropology major at the illustrious Spelman College. An aspiring college professor with hopes on earning her PH.D. in Sociology, Endia is a scholar activist and UNCF Mellon Mays Fellow who believes that through education anyone can change the world. If you see or know of an issue, take a stand because the world will continue to turn with or without your impact. She loves all types of music, however, she is convinced Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong are the best duo of all time. Les Miserables is the absolute BEST musical and no one can convince her otherwise.I am not longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept ~ Angela Davis