Meet Anecia Evans, Class of 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.

1. Where are you from?

I am from Seattle, Washington.

2. Tell us a little bit about life before Spelman College?

Before Spelman, I attended Shorewood High School, where I participated in Black Student Union, S.E.R.V.E. (A volunteering club), and Operation Awareness, which educates my peers on the negative effects of drugs and alcohol, and after school I would also volunteer at a local elementary school. On weekends, I volunteered at the Northwest African American Museum, where I enjoyed learning about Black history in the Northwest and assisting others. In my spare time, I love watching scandal and documentaries.

3. Why did you choose Spelman College?

I chose Spelman because I had a vision of the woman I wanted to be and I felt like Spelman could mold me into that woman. Throughout my high school career, I was always very interested in serving others and being a part of an intellectual community. Spelman is full of bright and ambitious women that want to not only better themselves but also their communities. During New Student Orientation we touched on being a well-rounded individual and how it goes beyond the classroom. After listening to Dr. Butler’s lecture, the phrase, “Where and when I enter” has a whole new meaning. Spelman does not only make you into a knowledgeable person but a well-rounded being.

4. What’s your favorite thing about attending Spelman College thus far?

My favorite aspect of attending this school is the people. I’ve had some great discussions about race, equity, and other issues these past weeks that has given me a new perspective that I never considered before. Also, everyone at Spelman has been extremely friendly towards me. Every time I walk on campus people are always saying hi to me or asking me how my day is going!

7. What’s your major?

I have yet to declare my major, but I have a strong interest in marketing and communications.

8. What do you hope to achieve in your first year?

This year I hope to become involved in different organizations and clubs as well as achieve a high GPA.

9. How do you believe Spelman College will help you to achieve your goals and aspirations?

At Spelman College, I believe that the faculty is dedicated to our success. Since I’ve been here I’ve gotten many emails on different networking opportunities and ways to get involved. Through these opportunities, my goal is to make valuable connections that will help me personally and academically in the long run. Although I’m a freshman, I’m very sure that I want to go into business field and even though Spelman does not offer my specific major (I plan to cross register at Morehouse and Clark Atlanta) I think the connections and experiences I make and have here will still be very beneficial towards my future.

Danyelle Carter has always been excited about building beneficial relationships, sharing stories and managing her best self. She is an aspiring publicist majoring in Comparative Women's Studies at her dream school, the illustrious Spelman College in Atlanta, GA. She chose to continue her education at Spelman after graduating summa cum laude from Miami Dade College with a joint associate degree in Mass Communications and Journalism. Currently a junior at Spelman, Danyelle hopes to bring contemporary perspectives to commercial appeal by pursuing entrepreneurship of owning her own firm. If you ask her what her aspirations are, her eyes would light up, her smile would widen and she would squeal: "to be the Communicator-in-Chief of my own PR/Social Interaction agency!"