Campus Cutie: Alexis Wideman aka DJ L.E.X.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.

Name: Alexis Nicole Wideman

DJ name: DJ L.E.X

Major: Comparative Women’s Studies with a self designed focus in Film 

Classification: Senior

When and how did you become a DJ?

I became a DJ in my freshmen year of college, which was in 2010, but I have had my turntables since I was 15 years old. I would practice turning tables between doing homework and after basketball practice. When I entered the Atlanta University Center (AUC). The AUC is made up of Spelman College, Morehouse College and Clark Atlanta University. I realized that DJ-ing was something I wanted to take seriously because I saw how much of an impact I could make with my diverse musical selection, and I believed the AUC needed to see that a woman can DJ just as good as a man.

When did you realize that disk jockeying was your talent?

I have had musical influences around me at a very young age. Lenny Kravitz was a family friend and another family friend was a DJ for the local radio station in Los Angeles my hometown. My parents, who are music lovers introduced me to various musicians, such as Michael Jackson, Prince, Run DMC, Lauryn Hill, Erykah Badu, Musiq, Sade, and others. I have always wanted to be in the music industry in some way, shape, or form since I was a child. I’ve played guitar, drums, clarinet, and I sing as well, but there was something about DJing that sparked my interest. Blending and scratching songs and watching people’s reactions when they hear “their song” is one of the greatest feelings, because I know in a sense that I am responsible for the audience having the time of their life.

Were you nervous? How long did it take you to really get the hang of it?

I realized DJ-ing was a talent when I had an array of people compliment me and ask if I could make them a mix tape of my set I had just did. It gave me the confidence I needed to continue honing my skill, build a brand and market my talent. My mentor DJ Wildman (fellow SoSoDef DJ) taught me that “your brand is everything, how to build a loyal and steady clientele, and how to be professional in the industry” by having contracts, invoices, and business cards. He is the reason people around the AUC know who I am, and I’m grateful he mentored and allowed me to shadow him.

To be honest, I get a little nervous before I go on stage, but once I play that first song and get the crowd reacts, I thrive of their energy. I am constantly learning and still ask for advice because I believe there is always room for growth.

How long have you been a DJ?

In my mind 7 years (LOL) but realistically 4 years I have been a DJ. 

Do you perform for more than one event a day? If so, tell us how you manage it.

I have DJ-ed more than one event a day, but most times I book one event, so I can invest my energy into that set for the day. 

What do you do to motivate the crowd if nobody is dancing?

lf I see nobody is dancing sometimes I will cut the music and ask “So I guess you all just came to stand around?” But I’ll always find someone in the crowd who has the same energy as I do. I will vibe with that person until more people begin to dance. As a DJ I learned I will not please every person in the crowd, but I have to continue to rock the set and be the best DJ I can until the last song. 

Do you have any upcoming events we can check you out?

You can follow me on my Instagram @ayecole to see the events I spin at. 

What kind of equipment do you use?

I like to keep it original. I use vinyl (records) and I use serato. I love the feel of vinyl; there is something about vinyl.

What is the best way to come you?

You can contact me alexis.wideman@gmail.com or my social media: Instagram: @ayecole or Facebook: Alexis Wideman 

What types of events do you prefer to DJ at?

I do it all. Clubs, Weddings, Birthday parties, Lounges, on Campus Events. Whenever I have a crowd with high energy is where I prefer to DJ. I LOVE to have a good time when I’m DJ’ing so it doesn’t matter what type of event I am at.

Do you belong to any professional associations, campus organizations or trade groups?

I am the official DJ for Team Wildlife and I am also an intern for Atomic Dj’s. As far as organizations I am a member of the the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the annual Black College Expo Panelist, NPHC Greek Step Show Annual Co-Host, and the Educational Student Tours Ambassador. I am also currently interning with CBS Radio/ V103 on The Ramona Debreaux Mid-Day Show.

How do you unwind after each gig?

After each set I unwind by taking a very long nap. (LOL) 

What are your five favorite albums?

My favorites are albums are: Baduizm by Erykah Badu, The 20/20 Experience by Justin Timberlake, The College Drop Out by Kanye West, NWTS by Drake, Juslisen byt Musiq Soulchild, and Aaliyah by Aaliyah.

Who are some of your favorite artist?

Some of my favorite Artist are: Michael Jackson,Stevie Wonder, Pharrell Williams, Justin Timberlake, Marsha Ambrosius, Alicia Keys, Lauryn Hill, Erykah Badu, Drake, NaS, Common, SZA, Jhene Aiko, PARTYNEDXTDOOR, Kendrick Lamar, Miguel, John Legend, Frank Ocean

Karys Belger is an English Major and Drama Minor at Spelman College. A Maryland native, Karys has had an interest in writing, journalism, and communications from a very young age. By the time she graduated high school, she was one of the editors of her high school year book. In addition to Her Campus, Karys writes her own blog 'Miss Perspective'. As a Bonner Scholar, Karys actively engages her campus and the surrounding area through community service initiatives. Additionally, she serves as the Social Secretary, Historian and Community Service liaison for the Miss Spelman Advisory Board and is the Community Outreach Chair the Spelman Chapter of the Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance. Recently, she was inducted into Sigma Tau Delta National English Honor Society, Omega Xi Chapter. Her ultimate goal is to become a reporter and cover the hard-hitting news stories both at home and abroad.