Campus Celebrity: SGA President, Mary Pickard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.

Name: Mary Pickard

Major: Political Science Minor: Spanish

Classification: Senior

Hometown: Detroit, MI

Relationship status: Single

In your role as Student Government Association President what are your primary roles and what platform did you campaign on?

As SSGA President, I ensure that the platforms of all members are carried out and fulfilled to the best of our ability.  Also, I along with other members serve as the bridge between students and administration.  When I ran for President, my tag line was “Serving and Promoting my Spelman Sisters.”  My goal as President is to make sure that all SGA members are recognizable by students and that we are serving our sisters in the best way possible.  In order to achieve our goal of meeting our Spelman sisters and reaching out to them, thus far, SGA has volunteered in the cafeteria during Fried Chicken Wednesday, we conduct office hours two times per week, and our weekly meetings are open to the public.  

What do you consider the perks of being SSGA President?

I honestly love being President, there’s a great feeling of coming to campus and knowing that I have the opportunity to impact my sisters daily.  Moreover, I enjoy meeting new sisters and listening to what they love about our institution and what they would improve as well. 

Do you have any advice for students who are thinking about applying for any leadership roles on campus?

There is no greater regret than thinking “what if” or “if only”. I would encourage all Spelman students to be active and get involved on campus.  It may seem scary at times, but knowing that you may have a lasting, positive impact on current and future sisters will erase any fears that one may have. 

How about some advice for Spelman students in general?

Explore all that Spelman has to offer; this is a time for self-exploration.  Learn about your whole self and always take the time and listen to your body.

What is your dream job?

I would love to work as an international business attorney handling corporate transactions.

What is your favorite quote?

“When people reveal themselves to you, believe them the first time”-Maya Angelou

Tell us three fun facts about yourself?

• I’m an only child
  • My favorite color is purple
  • When I was in 5th grade Bill Cosby called me Rudy

Do you have any secret talents or hobbies?

I’ve been playing the flute for 13 years!

Danyelle Carter has always been excited about building beneficial relationships, sharing stories and managing her best self. She is an aspiring publicist majoring in Comparative Women's Studies at her dream school, the illustrious Spelman College in Atlanta, GA. She chose to continue her education at Spelman after graduating summa cum laude from Miami Dade College with a joint associate degree in Mass Communications and Journalism. Currently a junior at Spelman, Danyelle hopes to bring contemporary perspectives to commercial appeal by pursuing entrepreneurship of owning her own firm. If you ask her what her aspirations are, her eyes would light up, her smile would widen and she would squeal: "to be the Communicator-in-Chief of my own PR/Social Interaction agency!"