10 ways to get noticed in the AUC (satire)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.

1.     Beat Face, have eyebrows on fleek, hair laid, and your own personal style.

Wear make up to highlight your best features, cleanup/shape your eyebrows to create a nice clean arch, have your hair done, and a style to call your own that sets you apart from the pack. Compliment people honestly. Girls and guys love to give and receive compliments, so most likely when you give someone else a compliment they will return the favor.

2.     Stay on Instagram, straight flexin’.

Follow multiple AUC shout out pages on the gram like @auc_shoutouts and @aucgsushoutouts. Post pictures that represent your personality and you looking your best. Don’t be afraid to add a filter and edit to perfection. Remember to smile and give face, BE FIERCE. This is your AUC modeling portfolio.

3.     Be seen at campus hot spots.

Establish a presence in Lower Manley at a table in front of Starbucks or Subway, bring homework and look busy, but not too busy. Establish a presence at Woodruff Library; don’t go in a private room to study, pick an open area where others can sit by you, bring homework and look busy, but again not too busy.

4.     Compete in a Pageant.

Pageants are a great way to introduce who you are to a large group of people. A word of advice coming from a pageant fan is to: BE PREPARED. Know your introduction, know what you’re wearing and ask at least five people how it looks on you before the pageant, and have an original, exciting, elaborate, and entertaining talent that the majority of the AUC will not forget. Compete to win.

5.     Attend events on all campuses to support all organizations.

There are all kinds of events on campus, from talents shows to panel discussions. Volunteer, ask questions, PARTICIPATE.

6.     Perform in a talent show.

90% of students I have met in the AUC have a talent, from spoken word to dancing. There is a least one talent show a month put on by different organizations to showcase students. If you can sing, dance, act, write, or paint then you can be in a talent show. WARNING: sometimes the turn out isn’t great for talent shows so make sure you are in the right one.

7.     Be outspoken in class.

Study hard and know what you’re talking about in class. Bring up new perspectives. Be the Spelman sister that others piggyback off of and ask for help.

8.     Be on the E-board of a registered school organization.

Join an organization that you are passionate about and want to contribute too. Run for a position on the E-board; this will help your application skills, interview skills, and people skills. People have to work with you when you have a title.

9.     Start your own organization.

There are so many registered school organizations, that I doubt you can’t find one to fit your interest. However, many still apply to start their own organization on campus. If you are really passionate about an issue or topic, and feel like there is nothing else like it on campus, then start your own organization and find people who are passionate about it too and have them join you. Plan big events and have emails sent to the entire student body.

10. Exude confidence and approachability.

Don’t try and be someone you’re not. Others realize when you are being fake and not genuine. It is important to discover who you truly are and to be that person at all times. Not everyone is going to like you, but that doesn’t matter, as long as you love who you are. When you are the person you want to be, people take notice. 

Jeremie Davis

Salisbury '18

Jeremie Davis is an ambitious eighteen year old who has plans to change the world. While writing for her high school newspaper, she discovered her passion for writing, in which she contributed numerous works to the award winning newspaper. Jeremie also has a strong passion for Theater. She has been acting since she was ten years old. Jeremie is currently attending Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia, where she is majoring in Early Child Education with a minor in Theater and Journalism. Along with writing for Her Campus, Jeremie is apart of Tiger TV, a newly produced student-run news show, located on Morehouse College's campus. After two years Jeremie plans to go to Yale School of the Dramatic Arts where she will earn her Doctorate’s Degree in Fine Arts. In her spare time, Jeremie enjoys watching Netflix, belting out show-tunes, biking, and hanging with family and friends. Her ultimate goal in life is to become either a successful actress or a news correspondent in the entertainment world. She lives by the motto “If you work hard, you get to play hard.”