The Perfect Spring Break Body Equation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

Many of you made a resolution at the start of the New Year to get back in the gym and eat right. If that promise has already fallen off the wayside a bit, fear not! There is still time to achieve your very best body in time for spring break. The equation involves the sum of two basic factors, multiplied by motivation and dedication.

The 2 Basic Factors:

1. Diet- Before the word scares you off, you should know that it doesn’t have to mean starving yourself, counting calories or replacing two meals with shakes every day. Diet is simply a term referring to what you consume every day. What you consume will determine how successful you are with getting the body you want. You can work out 1-2 hours a day, but with a poor diet, you are not going to see any results. Here is a guideline for eating a clean diet:

• Eliminate fast food and anything processed. Try to eat everything in its most     natural, whole form. Check ingredients!
  • Avoid anything with added salts (sodium), sugar, and trans/saturated fats.
  • Eat 5-6 smaller meals a day, having one meal every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism revved up. This requires planning ahead and paying attention to the time.
  • Have a source of protein with every meal, ie. lean chicken, turkey, fish, low-fat cheese, Greek yogurt, beans.
  • Limit dairy intake to 1-2 servings, and make sure the products you choose are skim to low-fat!
  • Limit starchy carbs to 1-2 servings before 3 p.m. This includes breads, pastas, rice, etc. Make sure they are whole wheat/whole grain!
  • Eat lots of vegetables! Not only do they provide vitamins and minerals, but they fill you up so you aren’t tempted to eat more!
  • Limit excess condiments, dressings, and dips. They tack on hundred’s of extra calories!
  • Use portion control! Don’t eat until you’re full. Eat until you’re just satisfied. Pay attention to serving sizes and go by that. Measure things out if you have to.
  • Drink as much water as possible. Water will help flush everything out (making you look skinnier!) and keep you full and satisfied throughout the day. Water also gives you prettier skin and shinier hair!
  • The week before spring break, try cutting out all starchy carbs. Your main source will come from fruit—one serving in the morning with breakfast and the other following your workout. If you are really struggling, have one starch a day when you feel like you need it most.

[pagebreak]

2. Exercise- That is another scary word for a lot of us. Sorry ladies, there is no getting around this one. If you want to see results, you need to get your body moving! There are plenty of ways to burn calories and tone up. It’s just about finding your niche and sticking with it.Here are some ideas:

• 30-minute strength training + 30-minute cardio workouts, five days a week. Examples of strength training include lifting weights, resistance machines and circuit training. Examples of cardio include biking, walking, jogging/running, elliptical training and Stairmaster exercises.
  • Fitness Classes! The Payne Center on campus offers free group exercise classes for students that you can easily take advantage of. Pick one to go to every day, make sure it’s challenging and switch it up.
  • High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)- This revolutionary breakthrough in exercise physiology has shown that just 15-20 minutes of this fast-paced training can be just as effective, if not more, than 45 minutes of low-moderate intensity cardio. Find examples of these kinds of workouts online, and add it to your workout 2-3 times a week for an ultimate fat burn.

If you follow these tips and stay motivated, you will be rocking that cute swimsuit like a champ! Just remember to set a realistic goal for yourself. Don’t cheat yourself, and don’t sweat it if you slip up. Move on, and get right back in the game at your next meal, not tomorrow. Hang up a motivational piece where you will see it every day. It can be a picture, quote, the bikini you plan on wearing, anything! The most important thing is to be confident, and believe in yourself. If you don’t, you will never succeed. Pool season is just around the corner, so start getting ready now!

Crystal Garner

Southern Miss

Crystal Garner is a sophomore at the University of Southern Mississippi studying Broadcast Journalism and Computer Science. She is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-In-Chief for the Southern Miss Chapter of HerCampus.com, the on-air host of Southern Miss Today at WUSM 88.5, a Campus Editor at Uloop.com, a former English TV/Africa production intern at Voice of America, and an ambassor for Freshmansupport.com. She enjoys writing, reporting, and traveling. Her work has been publish by USA TODAY, Huffington Post, Uloop.com, and local newspapers in her hometown of Meridian, Miss. She hopes to one day serve as an international correspondent.  Keep up with her at Shesagarner.com