Midterm Mania: Everything You Need to Know About Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

For all you frantic freshies who are running around in a tizzy over midterms, here is the 411. They are usually not as serious as you think. Unlike finals, midterms do not necessarily mean all-nighters in the library cracked out on espresso beverages. Depending on your class and professor, midterms could hold several different meanings. These are the different types of midterms you could experience during your college career.

Final Exam Teaser

Okay, so these are something to freak out about! Well, maybe not freak out, but these are definitely the kind to take seriously. Some professors are known for setting up their classes so that the only grades you get come from the midterm and the final. That means this is worth half your grade, so don’t blow it. Other classes may not be this intense, but the midterms are still worth a large portion of your grade and are usually a pretty close indicator of what the final is going to be like.

“Just-Another-Exam Midterm”

These seem to be most common. Professors will not necessarily give a midterm, but they will still expect you to take a test of some sort. Usually these exams are just like the others you are expected to take throughout the semester. They are still a big deal (obviously), but they normally will not count for more than the other exams you take in the class. Definitely get your study on for these, but don’t sweat it if you bomb. It won’t hurt you quite as bad.

Project/Presentation Midterm

Depending on personal preference and the difficulty of the assignment, some find this kind of midterm better than taking a test. The name is self-explanatory. Instead of taking an exam, you will be expected to complete a project or presentation in place of your midterm grade. Most professors will assign these at the beginning of the semester so you know it’s coming. If you get the merciless teacher who assigns a 12-page analysis with in-text citations in MLA format along with a PowerPoint presentation of your findings and doesn’t tell you about it until two weeks before, bless your heart. Get you a Venti Americano and hang in there, honey. It will all be over soon.

Free Pass Midterm

These are the best kind! Now and then, you’ll get a professor that will disregard midterms altogether. This will give you a nice break and allow you to focus on your other class with the not-so-nice teacher. Not having a midterm for a class is great, but beware; you will more than likely have to make up for it in some other way.

Now that you know what kinds of midterms to look out for, you can relax and do what is necessary to prepare yourself for what’s coming. Keep in mind that you are not given extra time to complete midterms as you are for finals. It is expected that you complete them in one normal class period during your regular time. So, if applicable, hit those books, collegiettes!

Crystal Garner

Southern Miss

Crystal Garner is a sophomore at the University of Southern Mississippi studying Broadcast Journalism and Computer Science. She is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-In-Chief for the Southern Miss Chapter of HerCampus.com, the on-air host of Southern Miss Today at WUSM 88.5, a Campus Editor at Uloop.com, a former English TV/Africa production intern at Voice of America, and an ambassor for Freshmansupport.com. She enjoys writing, reporting, and traveling. Her work has been publish by USA TODAY, Huffington Post, Uloop.com, and local newspapers in her hometown of Meridian, Miss. She hopes to one day serve as an international correspondent.  Keep up with her at Shesagarner.com