Justin Moreira: The Philanthropist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

Justin Moreira is a junior pre-med student at Southern Miss.  His major is Microbiology and his minor is Chemistry.  Aside from knowing just about everyone on campus, Justin has been named a Southern Miss campus celebrity for his big plans this summer!

What extracurricular activities are you currently involved in?

Besides being a member of Pi Kappa Phi fraternity and three bands, I would say I’m taking a break from extracurricular activities to focus on some big future goals: MCAT Prep, Journey of Hope, class.

What drew you to Pi Kappa Phi during rush?

While I was rushing, I knew right away that I wanted to join an organization that gave me a sense of purpose. With Pi Kappa owning and operating it’s own philanthropy that involved benefiting people with disabilities, I felt that was an organization that I wanted to be apart of. Our philanthropy, Push America, also offers an event, called Journey of Hope, to raise money for people with disabilities by cycling across the country.

Tell us more about Push America.

Push America is our national philanthropy that exists to serve people with disabilities – whether that be through awareness, fundraising, or volunteerism, the organization gives back to 54 million Americans with physical and mental disabilities. 

What exactly is Journey of Hope?

Journey of Hope is a 4,000-mile bike ride across America. I am participating in this event and it will take about 68 days (my entire summer) to complete. Everyday we will be making stops at community centers, non-profit organizations, and schools to put on dances, wheelchair basketball, and we also take this time to deliver the money we have worked so hard to raise. I am hoping to ride the trans route, which begins in Seattle and ends in Washington, D.C.

What is your fundraising goal and where does the money go?

My personal goal is to raise $8,000 and this money collectively goes to our national headquarters, where we will then have an approximate amount of $600,000 to distribute!

How can people donate/contact you/keep up with your progress?

People can find me on Facebook where I have links to all of my websites. It takes no time to donate and it is for such a good cause. Any amount goes a long way and I give credit to everyone who makes a donation.

What made you decide to do Journey of Hope?

I have always had a strong empathetic attitude towards people with disabilities, and said from day one of joining Pi Kappa Phi that I was going to do Journey of Hope, and I’m finally doing it and couldn’t be more excited.

What are your plans for the future (in terms of your career)?

I hope to graduate from med school and become an oncologist and hopefully in the far future, achieve a fellowship in pediatrics.

What are some of your favorite things to do on/off campus? Hobbies?

If I’m not rehearsing music for an out-of-town show, studying, or training for Journey of Hope, I am usually using that downtime to relax with my friends, watch my favorite movies, or anything involved with music. Driving to New Orleans to catch some bands or live jazz has been one of my favorite things to do since coming to college. I am very passionate about my music, so anytime I get to go on tour or hang out with my ‘band mates’ is always a good time.

Justin is  selfless and generous for giving his entire summer to make a difference in the lives of children living with disabilities.  He is certainly setting an excellent example for young adults, not only at Southern Miss, but also across the world.  Ladies, this one is definitely a keeper! 

To follow Justin’s  Push America, Journey of Hope adventure and to learn more about donating, contact him on Facebook.

HCSM Photography by Aris Taconi

Crystal Garner

Southern Miss

Crystal Garner is a sophomore at the University of Southern Mississippi studying Broadcast Journalism and Computer Science. She is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-In-Chief for the Southern Miss Chapter of HerCampus.com, the on-air host of Southern Miss Today at WUSM 88.5, a Campus Editor at Uloop.com, a former English TV/Africa production intern at Voice of America, and an ambassor for Freshmansupport.com. She enjoys writing, reporting, and traveling. Her work has been publish by USA TODAY, Huffington Post, Uloop.com, and local newspapers in her hometown of Meridian, Miss. She hopes to one day serve as an international correspondent.  Keep up with her at Shesagarner.com