How to make the “Last Year on Earth” the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

With all the hype of 2012 being the last year on Earth, here is a month-by-month guide to making your last year your best year starting with this month!

March

Inform someone that you love them. Not your boyfriend or your mom, unless it’s questionable; someone that it’s hard to say those words to. Go say it. “I love you.” What have you got to lose? The awkwardness will dissipate in ten months, what with the whole Armageddon thing.

April

Surprise someone for no special occasion, and don’t tell them it was you who did it. Buy a box of Jody’s cookies for your roommate, and leave it at the door. Find your boyfriend’s favorite album on vinyl, and just leave it playing in his room when he gets in from class. Let them wonder.

May

Do something you’ve been terrified to do. Learn to water ski. Let a snake crawl up your shirtsleeve at the pet store. Don’t get killed, but get hurt if you like. It won’t matter in eight months anyway.

[pagebreak]

June

Go on a road trip. You don’t have to have a lot of money, especially if you chip in for gas with a bunch of friends. Pack sandwiches, sleep in sketchy hotels and go on adventures with people that make you smile. Doesn’t have to be the Grand Canyon or Niagara Falls; go to Birmingham or Vicksburg. Take the Amtrak to Kansas City. It doesn’t matter! Take pictures, even though you’ll only get to cherish them for seven months.

July

Try on another personality for a few days. Go to a thrift store and pick out a costume. What would you be like if you were secretly a super-spy? An incredibly sexy, high-class casino gambler? A nerdy little college chick… with a superpower! You don’t have to tell anyone else why you’re dressed so strangely. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be a secret identity

August

Make a list of all the important lies you’ve ever told. Go fess up. Don’t wait until November, when you won’t have to deal with the consequences. Go now, and woman up about it. You might just become a better person. Also, go ahead, and register for fall classes. One more semester of self-improvement won’t kill you… something else will.

[pagebreak]

September

Wonder momentarily if you should be stockpiling canned goods or something. Then shrug it off on your way to play canasta, badminton or something else strange and exciting with all the new friends your adventures have made you this year. Decide it doesn’t matter what happens in the future, you’re living your life to the fullest! That being said, make sure you ace those midterms. You don’t want to stop living life just because you flunked out of college, right?

October

Dress up as your hero for Halloween. Not someone trite like Superman, or even a well-known hero like Martin Luther King, Jr. Dress as someone you know, or did know. Let them know you’re dressing as them, and tell them why.

November

When your dorky, annoying family members go around the table at Thanksgiving saying what they’re thankful for, don’t say some silly thing that you’ve been saying since you were seven. Don’t do the minimum. Prepare something beforehand. Be honest. Tell someone at the table that you appreciate them, specifically. Pick a few people if you like! Actually make it matter. This may be the last time you see them.

December

Realize that you should do this every year from now on. If you live long enough, buy tickets for the opening night of “The Hobbit!” If you don’t live long enough to see the Hobbit, enjoy your last night on Earth sitting next to someone who matters to you. You’ve been practicing having adventures all year; this one will be Earth-shattering. Literally.

photo credits: Collegelifestyles

Megan Fink

Southern Miss

Megan is a Junior at the University of Southern Mississippi. She's majoring in News and Editorial Journalism and Political Science. Her favorite publication is the Wall Street Journal, and she hopes to work as a war correspondent for the Associated Press.
Crystal Garner

Southern Miss

Crystal Garner is a sophomore at the University of Southern Mississippi studying Broadcast Journalism and Computer Science. She is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-In-Chief for the Southern Miss Chapter of HerCampus.com, the on-air host of Southern Miss Today at WUSM 88.5, a Campus Editor at Uloop.com, a former English TV/Africa production intern at Voice of America, and an ambassor for Freshmansupport.com. She enjoys writing, reporting, and traveling. Her work has been publish by USA TODAY, Huffington Post, Uloop.com, and local newspapers in her hometown of Meridian, Miss. She hopes to one day serve as an international correspondent.  Keep up with her at Shesagarner.com