Greek Women Prepare for New Pledges

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

Southern Miss Greek women are gearing up for what will be one of the campus’ biggest recruitments to date. With interest in sorority involvement at an all time high, potential new members can expect to be wowed by all the great things the seven on-campus sororities have to offer.

The recruitment week takes place over a six-day period where young college women will attend a series of parties, helping them to discover which sorority best fits their lifestyle and personality. After each day, the rushees will narrow down their choices until preference night, where they pick the chapter they’d like to join.

Each chapter seeks pledges who will be committed to the betterment of the organization. Commitments include meetings, paying monthly bills, and upholding the values outlined in the creed.

“Recruitment means choosing the best women to uphold chapter values and beliefs and to better the chapter for the many years to come,” said Hannah Rusche, a senior tourism management major and member of Delta Gamma.

While recruitment is certainly a stressful process, women aren’t expected to go through it alone.

Gamma Chis, unaffiliated Greek women, act as mentors to potential new members during rush week, helping them to understand the emotions they may feel while going through recruitment.

The Southern Miss Greek community prides itself on academic and philanthropic achievements at both the local and national levels. With over 700 Greek affiliates on campus, sorority members are the leaders in academic success and campus involvement at Southern Miss.

If you are looking to join a nationally accredited organization, meet hundreds of hardworking, goal-oriented women, and become the hands and feet of a national charity, consider going through the recruitment experience.

Southern Miss sororities will welcome new pledges on Bid Day, scheduled to take place on Thursday, September 6.

And it’s not too late to sign up! The registration deadline is September 5. Click here for the link.

Photo Source: Ana Santos, USA Today College Contributor 

Mallory Hatten is a senior majoring in Journalism at the University of Southern Mississippi. She currently interns for College Lifestyles as a Sorority and Lifestyles Writer. She also serves as the Vice President of Public and Alumna Relations for the Alpha Omicron Chapter of Phi Mu as well as a Section Editor for Her Campus Southern Miss. In her spare time, Mallory loves traveling, reading, and being with family and friends. She hopes to travel the world and write for a respected publication in the future.