Collegiette Opinions: Walking a Mile in Her Shoes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

From first-hand experience, I know there is at least one girl you see each day that you envy.  It may be her long, red hair or the amount of freckles she has on her face. It could be that she wears a size 4, and you do not.  I have never worried about my weight or my appearance until I came to college.  Once I was thrown into a big sea of people I didn’t know, I started to second-guess everything about myself.  I realize though, it isn’t necessary to do that because I am beautiful, and so are you.

Curves vs. Skin and Bones:

Us women have it in our heads that if we have curves, we are fat.  Ladies, EMBRACE your curves. Don’t be down on yourself because you were blessed with a figure.  They make jeans for people just like you that will enhance your curves, and they make your whole body look amazing.  There are so many kinds of dresses that go with your curves, too.  Don’t be discouraged; you and your curves are beautiful!

On the other hand, some of you are self-conscious because you feel like you’re too skinny.  If you are skin and bones, you are still beautiful.  There are so many fitted shirts that can bring out the best in your body.  There are a number of bathing suits that look good on you too!  Being flat is a great thing.  Embrace it! Whether you’ve got curves or you’re as skinny as a toothpick, so many people envy you. Be proud of your shape!

[pagebreak]

Big ASSets vs. Itty Bitty

I’ll be honest with you; it’s hard for me to appreciate my boobs.  They are a DD and get in the way all the time.  In fact, I can rarely find a button-up shirt that looks good on me, and the “one size fits all” stuff does not work. I have to stop and think for a minute about how many people would die to have my boobs.  It sounds silly, but I’ve had many friends say how lucky and blessed I am to have big boobs compared to their B cups.  Of course, I think they’re crazy. I would die to have their B cup any day! I wish I could trade them. This is a perfect example of what I am talking about.  Whether or not you are an A or a DD, someone is at home wishing they had what you had.  So, start to be proud of what you have.  Embrace your B cup; shirts fit you a lot better, and your boobs don’t hurt when you’re doing your daily workouts.  Embrace your DD cup; you can fill out any dress you buy, and they look really good in a bra.  The same thing goes with your butt.  Whether you have a donk or you’re flat, embrace it.  You look good!

[pagebreak]

Tan vs. Pale

As spring break and summer are approaching, most of us ladies are looking forward to the beach, bikinis and short-shorts.  However, most of us wouldn’t dare put on such clothes, or go to places like the beach, without being tan.  Being tan is awesome!  Just remember to be careful and not go overboard.  Some of us look better with a darker complexion, and some of us look better with a lighter complexion.  Tanning until you’re orange is not attractive.  If you go to the tanning bed, make sure to get to a healthy looking shade.  If you are one that woman who looks and feels better pale, more power to you!  If your color looks natural, you look beautiful! Be proud of your skin, and take care of it!

Whether you are tall, short, skinny, curved, tan or pale, you are beautiful! Somebody out there wants to have what you have just like you want to have what other girls have.  The secret to being secure in yourself is to remember that someone is always going to wish they had something that you have! Another important thing to think about is the importance of finding clothes and colors that match your body.  If you feel comfortable in your own skin, you will be confident and less likely to be jealous of other girls.  You’ll start to receive compliments, and that will boost your self-esteem.  Trust me. When you are confident, you are beautiful!

[pagebreak]

Suggestions for a more confident you:

Curvy Girls and Skinny Girls:

Check out Levi’s Curve ID Fit Finder!   All you do is answer a few simple questions about your body type, and they suggest the best fit for you! Go out, and try a pair of these on. You’ll see how they compliment your body.  If they make you feel confident, BUY THEM! When you wear them, you are sure to rack up compliments, turn a few heads, and be confident in yourself.

Big Boobies and Big Booties:

Avoid button-ups, V-Necks, and low-rise jeans!  Go find some cute high-waisted or mid-waisted jeans from LC by Lauren Conrad at Kohl’s. Pair those with a high crew neck or scoop neck shirt.  You will look better and feel better about yourself. I promise!

Itty Bitty Committee:

I suggest a cute cotton V-neck or a cute button-up from Target and a pair of low-rise denim shorts for the springtime!

Tan girls:

Bright, neon colors are for you.  The brighter the color, the tanner you look.  It really makes your skin pop, and the shirt balances you out. It’s time for you to bring out that neon green t-shirt and neon yellow bathing suit you’ve been dying to wear! You’ll look fabulous.

Pale ladies

Try to avoid colors that blend in or wash you out. Pastel colors are not good, neither are dark colors, such as maroon or black.  Try something a little more light or neutral, like blues and reds.  Go with colors that not only compliment your skin but your hair and eyes as well.

Crystal Garner

Southern Miss

Crystal Garner is a sophomore at the University of Southern Mississippi studying Broadcast Journalism and Computer Science. She is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-In-Chief for the Southern Miss Chapter of HerCampus.com, the on-air host of Southern Miss Today at WUSM 88.5, a Campus Editor at Uloop.com, a former English TV/Africa production intern at Voice of America, and an ambassor for Freshmansupport.com. She enjoys writing, reporting, and traveling. Her work has been publish by USA TODAY, Huffington Post, Uloop.com, and local newspapers in her hometown of Meridian, Miss. She hopes to one day serve as an international correspondent.  Keep up with her at Shesagarner.com