5 Miss America Lessons to Apply to Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

Originally founded “to provide personal and professional opportunities for young women to promote their voices in culture, politics and the community,” the Miss America program has been crowning intelligent, beautiful, and poised young women since 1921.

The annual competition hosts one representative from each state, as well as from the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. After a series of categories designed to showcase the women, more and more contestants are eliminated until only one remains. The remaining woman will serve as Miss America for the following year, espousing a platform of her choosing.

This year’s competition was held earlier this month. After charming the judges and America with her gorgeous evening gown, tap dancing talent, and eloquent answer, Miss New York, Mallory Hagan, was crowned Miss America. Hagan plans to use her time as Miss America to spread awareness about her platform, child sexual abuse prevention.

The Miss America competition is a lifelong goal for some and an entertaining night of television for others. However, it holds these universally applicable lessons for each of us.

1. Determination

Determination has been an important factor in the success of Mallory Hagan, this year’s Miss America. Hagan, competed for the title of Miss New York two times, in 2010 and 2011, before winning the competition and moving forward last year, according to an ABC article. Much like Hagan, many of the other contestants in the Miss America competition have dreamt of making it to the national stage all of their lives. The nationally recognized competition involves thousands of well-qualified women at the state level and over a hundred at the national level. If Mallory had let her two losses at the state level prevent her from competing, she would never have made it to the national stage or taken the title of Miss America! 

This kind of determination is key to reaching any goal, especially an ambitious one. However, as we can see from Mallory’s experience, it pays off and often leads to success!

[pagebreak]

2. Confidence and Poise

Everyone knows that all of the 52 Miss America candidates can rock a bikini. However, there is a much more important factor in the “Lifestyle and Fitness” [swimsuit] category than the girls’ appearances. It’s their confidence!  It is obvious that Mallory Hagan is totally comfortable in her own skin in her swimsuit (see above picture).

This kind of self-confidence radiates from a contestant – from anyone, for that matter – and highlights her good qualities for the judges and audience. A self-assured and poised contestant or person would certainly seem more confident and capable than a timid person. So next time you’re in a social situation, ditch that insecurity and take on the confidence of Miss America! 

[pagebreak]

3. Enthusiasm

Mallory Hagan’s enthusiasm for her talent, evident in the above photograph, most definitely gained her some points in the Miss America competition. More than the actual talent itself, Mallory’s enthusiasm and love for tap dancing endeared audiences around the country as well as the judges (obviously).

This enthusiasm – putting 110% of effort into a task – is a desirable trait in any person, whether he or she is a contestant, a friend, a student, or an employee. If you are willing to contribute a great effort and to complete a task with enthusiasm, people around you will take note of and appreciate this quality. 

[pagebreak]

4. Identity 

An important objective for any contestant participating in the Miss America program is the establishment of her individualism – finding something to set her apart from the other women. One way this occurs in the Miss America program is the declarations of the candidates’ platforms: each girl selects a cause that she wishes to support if she is chosen as Miss America.

This year, winner Mallory Hagan will be raising awareness about child sexual abuse prevention, a cause she is clearly passionate about. Mallory will spend the next year speaking in various venues about this and other important topics. Mallory will garner more support for her platform because her passion for the prevention of child sexual abuse is evident in her demeanor.

Just like Miss America, it is important for each of us to find something that we are passionate about, that identifies us. Your involvement in this passion, whether it is a hobby, charity, or something else, can help leave your mark on the world and will show others what you truly value. 

[pagebreak]

5. Tactfulness

The last category of the national Miss America program, in which only five women compete, is the dreaded interview question. This question highlights each woman’s ability to articulate her opinion on what is usually a controversial question, such as that asked of current Miss America Mallory Hagan. Her question was a tricky one about the placement of armed security guards in schools to maintain security after the recent Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. She answered saying she didn’t believe that we should fight violence with more violence, wooing the judges.

In this category, it is important for the women to voice their opinions firmly without seeming aggressive or rude. This is done through tactfulness, appreciating the valid points of the opposing argument while still strongly but politely stating one’s opinion.

Much like in the Miss America program, tactfulness is extremely valuable when dealing with sticky situations in your daily social life. You don’t want to alienate anyone, but when appropriate, you should always firmly voice your own opinion. This can be done by recognizing the validity of the opposing argument, stating your opinion, and providing reasoning or evidence. In this way, open and cordial discussion can occur while maintaining your social graces.  

photo sources: 

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/1…http://thestir.cafemom.com/ent…http://www.examiner.com/slides…http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/artic…http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-20…http://www.newsday.com/enterta…