Campus Celebrity: Hannah Johnson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southampton chapter.

Name: Hannah Johnson

Year: Third Year

Degree: History and Archaeology

What I do: I am a National and International competitor in Tae Kwon Do.

How did you get into Tae Kwon Do?

I have trained in WTF Tae Kwon Do since the age of five. I got into it because I used to watch Power Rangers and I desperately wanted to be one! My dad being a National coach as well meant that it was inevitable I would start!

What does this entail?

I compete internationally and travel around Europe fighting in the prestigious ‘Open tournaments’ as well as tournaments all over Britain. I am looking to one day compete for Britain at the European Champions, World Champions and Olympics.

What is your greatest achievement?

As a senior female in the +73kg and -73kg division 2012, this saw me ranked 2nd in Britain and 114th in the world!!!

How hard is it to manage being a Tae Kwon Do competitor alongside doing a degree?

I am often competing every weekend, which makes fitting in University work hard. I am often found writing an essay or doing reading on a plane or in the back of the car. However, being on the Southampton Sports Bursary scheme, allows me to have support and contact with the University if I am struggling as a consequence of Tae Kwon Do commitments. I get up early to go to the gym before lecturers and I am often home at the weekends to attend training camps.

Do you feel you miss out on University life at all because of it?

I love training and competing, but it does mean that I do miss out on some things, especially nights out! I can’t have many meals out with friends, as I am often on crazy diets to meet weight restrictions! But I love what I do and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Plus I still manage the odd night out! It also means that my stress levels double as I am constantly trying to fit training in around lectures and work: you have to give your life to Tae Kwon Do to be able to succeed at National and International levels. But  it’s my passion and I enjoy doing it. It’s also quite a cool party trick!

Do you get involved in sport with the University?

I love all aspects of University life, but because of my huge commitment to Tae Kwon Do I don’t have much time to participate. I am a member of the University Tae Kwon Do team and compete for them at Student Nationals. 

A True Coco Goddess! HAHA