This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

At this point, you’ve probably heard about weighted blankets. They’re like a big hug in the form of a cozy, soft blanket. Aside from it being comfy, did you know that they also have various health benefits? Although they are not substitutes for legitimate medical treatments, some research shows that they can definitely help with your health.

I’ll preface this article by saying that you should talk to your doctor before purchasing a weighted blanket if you have sleep apnea, claustrophobia, respiratory problems, or other chronic medical conditions. With that being said, here are five reasons you should go out and get a weighted blanket:

1. They can ease anxiety.

Yup, you heard that right. According to Penn Medicine, the pressure from these blankets can ease symptoms of anxiety, like a rapid heart rate and irregular breathing. They put your body into “rest mode” and create a sense of calm.

2. They help you sleep better.

A 2015 study looked at the quality of sleep for adults with chronic insomnia with and without a weighted blanket. The study showed that the participants with the weighted blanket did sleep better and woke up feeling more refreshed.

3. They can help you focus better during class.

With the majority of us taking at least some of our classes for home, this allows for the opportunity to use a weighted blanket during class to help us focus better during Zoom classes. The gentle pressure can relieve anxiety and stress, while also improving focus.

4. They ease pain.

The pressure of a weighted blanket can mimic deep pressure touch which can help with minor aches and pains.

5. They can make you happier.

A weighted blanket’s equivalency to deep pressure stimulation actually has the ability to boost levels of serotonin and reduce levels of cortisol (your body’s main stress hormone.)

A weighted blanket may not be for everyone, so be sure to do some additional research to find if it’s right for you, and if so, which weight best suits your body. 

Sara Graybill

South Carolina '23

Sara is a psychology major at the University of South Carolina. Her favorite things include the beach, hanging out with friends, and visiting her pets back home!
Abby Davies

South Carolina '22

U of SC '22. Public Health major.