Organ donor graphic
Organ donor graphic
Original photo by Shelby Grys
Wellness > Health

Why You Should Be an Organ Donor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Whenever you have to go renew your license again, I ask that you answer one question with an assured ‘yes’. When asked if you want to become an organ donor and answer ‘yes’, that ‘yes’ can save numerous lives. Through organ donation, one person can save up to eight lives, and help 100 others just by giving their tissues away. These facts, however, are even more meaningful when the story of survivors is told.

A quick visit to organdonor.gov shows how many people are affected by this selfless act. One touching story on the site describes a boy who at just five months old, received a kidney transplant. The boy, Mikey, now is able to play basketball with his older brother, collect stickers, and have a normal childhood that every child deserves. Countless children, teens, and adults have been saved by this gift; in 2018 36,528 transplantation surgeries were completed.

While lives can be saved through donation, some also can have drastic improvements in their quality of life as well. A friend of mine tore her ACL while playing soccer and received a donor muscle. The surgery allowed for her to return to the game she loved and continue playing for a few more years. Donation can bring the joy back in the lives of recipients.

The statistics are staggering, but only an estimated 58% of adults have signed up to be organ donors. While maybe organ donation isn’t for you, you can still be an advocate for signing up. In some states, it is as easy as going online. Have open conversations with your family and friends about if they are donors, and why/why not. Ask if they would consider a live donation if anything were to occur to a loved one or family friend. These conversations should be had openly and opinions should be known.

Choosing to donate not only affects the life of the patient but the life of their family as well. The family can see their loved one out of the hospital, and it can give the family a chance to have their loved one with them for many years to come.

I hope you consider becoming a donor, simply by checking “yes.”

Abby Davies

South Carolina '22

U of SC '22. Public Health major.
Katie Graybill

South Carolina '20

Katie is a journalism student at the University of South Carolina. She loves the beach, traveling, writing, and spending time with her pets!