This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

The majority of us love pasta. Even those who are gluten-free can still enjoy certain pastas. This is a recipe that I have been making with my boyfriend for almost two years now. It can be so simple or difficult, completely up to you. I will give you my version of the recipe which is super lazy, and I will also give you my boyfriend’s version for those of you who really love your kitchen!

First things first, ingredients! You will need Fettuccine noodles or angel hair, I personally prefer angel hair but Fettuccine noodles are to die for. You can also do any type of gluten-free noodles you wish, but something that does not have a whole lot of flavor will suffice! You will also need prosciutto, of course. I usually buy a pack of it–it’s around $7. I personally love a really creamy alfredo sauce. The homemade sauce my boyfriend makes just doesn’t do it for me! Any brand is perfectly fine, but the creamier, the better. My favorite part of the pasta: tomatoes! I always get my boyfriend to roast some tomatoes with olive oil and salt (I prefer sea salt but he uses kosher salt). The tomatoes really bring the pasta together. 

With my recipe what you want to do is roast the tomatoes first. You really just roast them to the texture and temperature you want, so I would say 400 degrees for a couple minutes. Make sure to use olive oil and salt! While the tomatoes are cooking, you want to start boiling the water, make sure to add salt for the noodles. Once the noodles are in you will leave them for about ten minutes, but then you will prepare the prosciutto. I typically tear the meat with my hands, it’s a lot easier than cutting it with a knife since it is such a thin piece of meat. Once everything is prepared, I combine everything in the pot where the noodles are and just mix. To clarify:  you will add the tomatoes, alfredo sauce, and prosciutto into the pot and stir! And you cannot forget to top it off with freshly-grated parmesan! Any parmesan will do. 

Now for my boyfriend’s version of the recipe… this one requires more work! Your ingredients are almost the same, except for he uses a homemade alfredo sauce that is from J. Kenji Lopez-Alt. The recipe is a light Fettuccine alfredo recipe. So, you will need any kind of noodles, some tomatoes, prosciutto, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, heavy cream, one egg, cornstarch, extra-virgin olive oil, lemon zest, kosher salt, black pepper, minced garlic, unsalted butter, and parsley but that is optional. So do you see why I prefer my version? My bank account prefers it as well! 

I won’t go into too much detail with the recipe and the instructions since the link is there and it will be very redundant, however if you are not that big on the creamier alfredo sauce then this recipe is for you. I like my version for a quick recipe when I get off work late and am craving some great pasta, however when it is date night, my boyfriend and I will not hesitate to bring out all these ingredients and get to cooking!

Below is an ingredients list for my version of the pasta, and after that will be ingredients for my boyfriend’s pasta. 

My Recipe:

• 1 pound fettuccine/other kinds of noodles, usually one box is great. (I break them in half when putting them into the pot!).

• 1 jar of alfredo sauce, usually 15oz. 

• A box of cherry or grape tomatoes. I would say about 15-20 tomatoes are great!

• Any kind of parmesan cheese. 

• Prosciutto, Publix has a great selection of it. 

• Note:  If you use all of the ingredients above, it makes about 4 servings. My boyfriend and I will either make all of it for leftovers, or use half a box of noodles and half a jar of the alfredo sauce. 

My Boyfriend’s Recipe:

• 1 pound fettuccine/other kinds of noodles.

• 5 ounces grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, and more to top after. 

• 2 tablespoons of heavy cream.

• 1 large egg.

• 1 teaspoon cornstarch. 

• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil.

• ½ teaspoon grated lemon zest. 

• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. You can also try sea salt, my personal favorite!

• 1 teaspoon minced garlic, usually a basic clove of garlic. 

• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter. 

• Minced fresh parsley or chives, this is optional!

Sophia Martin

South Carolina '22

Sophia is an Advertising major who loves writing, her dog Ryder, chai lattes, and writing content. She is beyond excited to see where she can lead the South Carolina chapter as president.
Abby Davies

South Carolina '22

U of SC '22. Public Health major.