What It’s Like to be a Vegan at Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

As the end of November creeps up, it’s that time again. Halloween is old news and Christmas has spread its way into every grocery store and shopping mall. Before we get to the holiday magic, there is still one thing standing in our way—Thanksgiving. This much anticipated holiday is all about being gracious and thankful for all the blessings in one’s life. A time to gather amongst family and friends, to brave the madness now known as “Black Thursday”, or to enjoy one of the many football games lined up on the T.V. guide. Of course, there is one more thing: the food! Coming from a family of meat and dairy fiends, I approach this holiday with acceptance. I know I’ll see that giant headless bird as the centerpiece of our dining room table and cringe as my father carves it as if he were a master chef, but respect is key. My beliefs are my own and I can’t force them on my loved ones. No matter how many times I may have tried in the past.

I put my focus on the company and festivities as opposed to the endless buffet of butter, milk, cheese and meat. Don’t get me wrong – this holiday comes with a host of challenges. As a vegan, I am accustomed to getting the looks of confusion, the classic “I don’t know how you do it!”, or my personal favorite “What can you eat?” as if I gain nutrition simply from raw spinach and tofu alone. Every year it’s the same million questions followed by “I think these green beans are safe.”

Being vegan on a holiday centered on overindulgence can bring on anxiety. The endless list of questions flood into your subconscious. How will I deal with sitting at a table adorned with a dead bird? What if I am the only one not eating it? Will there be anything for me to eat? Many individuals have a set expectation of Thanksgiving dinner. Family recipes passed from generation to generation often make a special appearance on such an awaited occasion. I’m here to say that I have learned not only to survive this day but also to actually enjoy myself.

Having a plant-based Thanksgiving, though daunting at first, is very achievable. In the realm of vegan cooking, the possibilities are endless. Each quintessential dish whether it be mashed potatoes, stuffing or pumpkin pie can be altered to fit a cruelty-free lifestyle. I have come to find that in preparing my own vegan Thanksgiving feast I eat similar dishes alongside everyone else, not to mention, I often find myself sharing with those around me. As a strong-willed and stubborn individual, I realize that this holiday is a dinner, not a protest. I am surrounded by those I love who want to enjoy my company. With this being said, I have learned that being judgmental and preachy gets me nowhere. Discussing the tragedies of slaughterhouses or making remarks about the dead corpse that everyone is consuming is not the best conversation starter. I was not raised vegan from birth thus, I too, was amongst those on a standard American diet at one point in my life. Kindness and respect are essential. There were times I found it so uncomfortable to be the odd man out. Often the brunt of every joke or pun at the dinner table, but my tip for survival is to be confident in my decision. I have chosen to live my life this way. I don’t apologize for being compassionate or healthy.

Despite the stereotype that veganism is difficult, inconvenient or unhealthy, I have experienced so much happiness and pride living this lifestyle. I prepare delicious and satisfying dishes to stay dedicated and firm in my convictions. Most importantly I remind myself that this is just one meal out of the year. Although it might be difficult to watch those around me delving into a table of high cholesterol and meat, I remember what this holiday truly means. I am blessed to be amongst my loved ones sharing in a day of gratitude and sustenance.

Hannah Loback

South Carolina '20

Hi! My name is Hannah Loback. I am currently a junior at USC Columbia. I am a psychology major and passionate vegan who thrives on books and the classic horror film.
Bri Hamlin

South Carolina '19

Hello, it's Bri (to the tune of Adele please). I am a senior at USC Columbia and am not currently thirty, flirty, and thriving, but twenty-one, anxious, and trying will sure do.