Style > Fashion

The Costume Designer behind the Iconic looks in the show “Friends”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

I’m sure you remember the iconic TV show Friends, which aired in 1994 and made a significant impact on the early 2000s and into today. Each character: Rachel, Monica, Phoebe, Chandler, Joey, and Ross, represents characteristics that are relatable, and applicable to life post-grad. It is also apparent how each of their styles reflected their personas, and let’s admit it, affect us to this day. From going to the salon and asking for “The Rachel”, to reminiscing on Chandler’s impeccable taste for vintage, their outfits never fell short. Throughout the ten years of the show, costume designer Debra McGuire worked closely with production designer John Shaffner and set decorator Greg Grande to produce very specific wardrobe requirements to enhance the viewers’ aesthetic pleasures during the show, as well as represent a part of the characters’ own personalities. In an interview with “Entertainment Weekly,” Debra McGuire reveals her inspiration behind each of the characters’ wardrobes and reflects upon her goal of creating a unique atmosphere through each piece of clothing.

RACHEL

Rachel remains a fashion icon to this day. From her being the inspiration behind the return of many styles we are seeing today, like claw clips and baby tees, even her haircut is being replicated by the masses. McGuire explains that “her palette was primarily kind of greens and blues, and in terms of the pieces themselves, they were a little bit more refined, I would say, in the beginning.” She explains how Jennifer Aniston began embodying McGuire’s vision for her wardrobe aesthetic, and actually played a huge role in picking out the outfits. As the show went on, Rachel’s wardrobe exemplified more pop-culture femininity, through clothes that “were tighter, more body-conscious, and showed some midriff,” explains McGuire.

MONICA:

Though Monica went through many significant life changes, her wardrobe “stayed pretty clean,” McGuire says. She expressed a subtle chicness in her as she “kept her in this black-white-gray-burgundy world for a long time, and then she became a chef and that suited her really well.”

PHOEBE:

Phoebe, being kind of a modern hippie, was usually seen in mixed patterns, with lots of accessories and dimensions. McGuire explains, “where I’ve got the blues and the greens with Jennifer and I’ve got the black and white and grays with Courteney with some burgundy and red, I’m bringing in a palette of florals and sheers and fabrics that move and things in her hair and lots of jewelry. I really wanted to bring in that element of flowy, feminine patterns.” She explains her goal to give Pheobe a “reminiscent of bohemian life, but [with] a more contemporary feeling.”

CHANDLER:

Chandler screamed retro. McGuire explains “I started Chander in the beginning with vintage, a lot of vintage clothes, tweeds, vintage ties. I did all those shirts with the racing stripes down the side. I remember my dad wearing those in the ‘40s. That was his look, and I thought it was such a great look, so I was inspired by that.”

JOEY:

Joey’s style was defined by texture. He was notorious for his leather jacket, and turtlenecks throughout the show. “He wore a lot of chenille sweaters and flannel shirts, and I kept him in a very tactile, soft palette as well as texture,” McGuire says.

ROSS:

Ross was always dressed slightly more professionally than the rest of the group. “Ross was our professor, so he dressed appropriately,” McGuire says. “He had patches on his elbows, and he was very tweedy and very corduroy.”

Ryan Manor

South Carolina '24

Hi! I’m a sophomore at the University of South Carolina and I'm studying Psychology & French. I'm originally from Michigan but did the classic "get me out of this small hometown" and have lived all over the country ever since.