Student Reaction to the First Presidential Debate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

*The opinions in this article are from a student’s perspective and do not reflect the views of HCSC.

The first round of the 2016 presidential debate was a winner in terms of entertainment value and it even had all the elements of a good prizefight. However, the pugilistic value lacked the substance the voters needed to make an educated decision on which candidate could be the better leader for our nation in the coming years. The two top contenders were on the defense the entire debate instead of advocating their positions on key issues like creating good jobs, foreign policy, and gun laws.

Trump positions himself as a successful businessman and a Washington outsider who can get things done through unconventional means. Meanwhile, Hillary is a career politician of 30 years and believes she can get things done within the realms of the government using her vast political experience.

The approach that Trump uses throughout the debate proves him to the “bully,” as he spent the majority of the debate exposing Hillary’s weaknesses in order to defend himself. He brought up Hillary’s 33,000 deleted emails relating to Benghazi in order to compensate for his missing tax returns. In order to redeem himself, he then played the “good guy” by stating that he should have mentioned a “certain affair,” but he decided to be the “bigger person” and not bring it up… contradicting himself because by saying this he actually indirectly brings up Bill Clinton’s affair.

Clinton maintained a calm composure and thus was able to provide the voters with some information for the audience to clearly understand her goals for each topic. However, it wasn’t enough due to the fact that she quickly returned to defend herself against Trump’s harsh interruptions. Don’t get me wrong though, Hillary is not the victim in this debate. She was quick to take a jab at Trump by bringing up his inconsistencies and long record of racist behavior, which initiated the first punch of this 90 minute battle. The vicious cycle then began, sending blows at each other and then defending themselves with disregard of this nation’s future.

But not only were both politicians out of control, Lester Holt failed to moderate the conversation. When Trump went on his tangents, lashed out against Hillary, or went off topic, Lester failed to redirect the debate back to its original purpose.

A stage set with two remaining presidential candidates, one hundred million viewers, and 90 minutes to attempt to defeat the opponent all led the audience and voters to feel uneasy about both of these candidates’ fitness for running our country.

Stay tuned for round two on Sunday, October 9. Until then keep your fingers crossed the next debate will go better.

Mariah Diamond

South Carolina

Mariah Diamond is a Retail Management Major at University of South Carolina. 
SC Contributor

South Carolina