christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Rise of Social Media Witchcraft

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

For most Americans, witchcraft is an artifact. It is a section of their history textbooks, literature for their high school English class, or a costume for Halloween. For most, magic is not real and they do not believe that the universe is under their control. However, there is a growing number who believe differently.

Over the years, there has been a rise in people who subscribe to certain occult beliefs. Most of us have seen the growing trend of astrology on our Twitter timelines, and maybe even some of you reading this article believe in astrology. These once taboo practices are now widely accepted and believed by many. They follow a trend that American people are currently experiencing: a decline in religion and an augmentation in spirituality.

“I’m spiritual, not religious,” is a phrase that everyone has probably heard before. For many, it is perceived as a meaningless saying; it is used by those who cannot commit to a school of belief but have a desire to believe in something. Perhaps this was the meaning of the phrase years ago, but now, it is the life philosophy of those who speak it. People believe in their own words just as others believe in their own religions. They are beginning to lose faith in the institution and find faith within themselves.

Naturally, when someone finds a lifestyle that works, they are bound to share it. With social media, that can be done without a thought, and it can influence large groups of people. One can find a multitude of witchcraft posts on Tumblr. Some are simple, for example, emoji spells. The original poster writes a spell in emojis and claims a Tumblr like will power the spell, while a reblog will cast it. Other posts are much more intensive. They describe rituals which can only be done during a certain time of the year when a witch’s power is at its peak.

The posts also have a very distinct aesthetic to them. They are gothic, minimalist and chic. They feel autumnal and cozy, which are characteristics that the modern idea of a witch lacks. A Google search can bring up thousands of images of wooden tables littered with herbs, crystals and tarot cards – all elements used by witches for their spells and by many modern women for protection. The classic ideas of various forms of witchcraft, spirituality and the occult have leaked into the modern culture through social media.

While many may believe that witchcraft is a grand sin, it can be empowering for those who practice a wholesome version of it. The idea of being able to manipulate the universe is tantalizing and finding power in nature has always been a part of the human experience. As a result of social media, women and men are finding their own power and creating their own lives. Perhaps it’s magic, or perhaps it’s placebo, but it’s a strong movement that is currently sweeping people’s feeds.

Katherine Kimbrough

South Carolina '21

Katherine is a sophomore music student at the University of South Carolina. She has sung in choirs all over the country, and continues to sing all over South Carolina. Her interests include coffee, chocolate, books, and music. You can follow her on twitter @kat_kimbrough and on instagram @katherinekimbrough. 
Bri Hamlin

South Carolina '19

Hello, it's Bri (to the tune of Adele please). I am a senior at USC Columbia and am not currently thirty, flirty, and thriving, but twenty-one, anxious, and trying will sure do.