Presidential Candidate – Trey Byars ‘17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

USC’s student election for 2016-2017 goes live on February 16th,  and HCSC got to know one of the candidates! Students will be able to vote at my.sc.edu/elections

Name: Trey Byars

Hometown:   Lexington, SC

Year: Junior

Major: Political Science

Minor: History

What’s your favorite song at the moment?

“Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” by Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terell.

What has been your most embarassing moment at USC?

A couple weeks ago it was pouring down rain and I wasn’t wearing a rain jacket and my pants were soaked and everything. I was in the basement of Gambrell talking to one of my girlfriends trying to impress her, and I ended up slipping and falling down a flight of three or four stairs. A couple people stopped to ask if I was okay but I didn’t even know how to respond. Long story short, I was trying to flirt with her and it didn’t end well!

If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

To read minds…it would set me up for the best jokes of all time. I’m a corny joke kind of guy. 

Do you have any hobbies?

I love to watch sports. I love gamecock football, playing golf and politics. I love spending time with family; I go home every Sunday to spend time with them. I’m also a big Panthers fan, and am super excited for this Sunday. We lost the super bowl when I was in third grade and I cried like a baby. I think I missed school for a couple days after that.

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

As crazy as it sounds, I guess I’ll have a family by then! I see myself having fun; in anything I do I want to have fun. It may be working in politics, or being a teacher, or being a sports agent (which would be the ultimate career). Whatever I do I see myself having fun and being the best version of myself I can possibly be. It doesn’t matter if you have a bad day or a good day as long as you get to be yourself.

How can you improve USC as president?

I want to allow students to create their own Carolina community. One of my big ideas is the “Work it Off” program. If someone gets a parking ticket, they can do two hours of community service to work off the ticket. Also I think we should have an Uber discount promo code which can be used at any time. This can be a late night safe ride option and is a big part of my platform.

Do you have any advice for students looking to get involved with campaigning?

You can go to my website, treybyars.com, to see more platform points as well as volunteer to campaign if you are interested. If you’re really passionate about making sure that Carolina stays as great as it is for incoming classes, come and help out! I’m ready to be the guy that fights for students to make sure their voice is heard. Students should expect more out of their leadership and representation on campus.

Elaine Declasp

South Carolina

SC Contributor

South Carolina