This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Do you often find yourself desperately craving a five course meal when all you have in your house is a half empty box of cereal and last week’s leftovers? Let’s be honest, we’ve all been there, but I’ve got something that is -almost- just as good as the real thing. Although these shows will definitely not satisfy your cravings of truffle fries and souffle, they will at least inspire you to go to the store ASAP and make an elaborate cake or two of your own.

Chef

This movie follows the story of a father and his son while they learn to navigate their relationship with themselves and each other as they take a road trip across the country. Oh, and did I mention this journey is via a food truck (aka dream road trip vehicle)? Throughout this trip they cook their way through major food cities such as Miami and New Orleans while creating drool worthy food along the way (did someone say Cubanos)? This is definitely a must watch!

The Chef Show

If you just couldn’t get enough of Chef, try the Chef show! This follows the star, Jon Favreau as he learns to cook alongside some of the best chefs in the world. And that isn’t even the best part–there is a whole episode on how to make some of the best dishes from the movie!

Chef’s Table

If you are in to more documentary style shows, then this show is for you! Chef’s table focuses on the stories and restaurants chefs all around the world. Each story is unique and has stunning imagery of the food. If Michelin Star meals weren’t enough for you, season four is dedicated entirely to pastry. A personal favorite episode of mine is the one on Christina Tosi. 

Zumbo’s Just Desserts

This show may win for having the craziest desserts on this list! Zumbo’s Just Desserts is an Australian baking competition in which contestants endure complex and sometimes even gravity defying challenges to try to become the best baker on the show. If you are a dessert lover I definitely recommend giving this show a try!

The Great British Bake Off

If you are in need of yet another baking competition in your life I recommend The Great British Bake Off. Bakers compete against each other in 3 challenges per round to become the best baker in the tent. Their creations always make me want to drop what I’m doing and make a giant bread sculpture myself. And the best part? There are 8 whole seasons, which is absolutely perfect to sustain months (okay, maybe only 1 month if you are THAT hungry) of binge watching!

Somebody Feed Phil

Each episode is centered around Phil, an outgoing and adventurous man, visiting a new region of the world and exploring its culture and, of course, its most famous foods. When I say travel, Phil goes from eating gelato in Venice, to trying the best pizza in New York, to devouring tacos al pastor in Mexico City. He literally eats his way around the world–which means he is living the absolute dream. 

Try out some of these shows next time you are devouring Netflix!

Jenna Marandola

South Carolina '24

Jenna is a junior public relations major at the University of South Carolina. She is a foodie and hopes to travel anywhere and everywhere. She loves cooking and is always down for a trip to the beach.
Abby Davies

South Carolina '22

U of SC '22. Public Health major.