Natural Looking Makeup Ideas for Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

As summer approaches, your makeup routine might need a change up. So here are some tips, trends and products to consider for the upcoming season.

Full brows

Pluck less and let those babies grow out! Don’t let it get out of control and keep them shaped, but a good full brow shows minimal effort and natural beauty. Instead of spending tons of time pencilling them in, a quick fill in is all you need.

Liquid or cream highlighter

Instead of using the classic powder highlighter, create a softer look with a liquid or cream highlighter. Avoiding powders makes for a more glowy and less cakey look. Try using a little highlighter on your cheekbones sans foundation for a glowy look that doesn’t look overdone.

Blush

A peachy blush is the perfect colored blush for a summer makeup look. It looks great with a tan, and makes your cheeks look naturally sun-kissed! Or, opt for an orange-tinted blush to play up your cheekbones naturally while adding a little pop of color.  

BB Cream or CC Cream

Instead of caking on a heavy foundation and suffocating your pores in the heat, use a BB Cream or CC Cream instead. They still provide coverage, but will show off your summer freckles and naturally tanned skin! Use a BB Cream if you want lighter coverage and to give your skin some extra nutrients. For days when you want a little more coverage, opt for the CC Cream, which is still light but focuses more on color correcting. Either way, they’re way less work than foundation (no beauty blender needed) and they keep you looking naturally fresh. Plus, you can even find some with built in SPF.

Just because it’s summer doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice all makeup. With these products you’ll look naturally beautiful!

Claire Westbrook

South Carolina

I am a freshman at the University of South Carolina. I enjoy writing. I also have a passion for makeup.
Reilly Tuccinard

South Carolina

Reilly Tuccinard is a University of South Carolina graduate with a love of writing, reading and learning. After spending two years as the Beauty Editor for Her Campus Media and the Editor-in-Chief of HC South Carolina, she is focusing on a career in creative strategy. Friends will tell you she's a a self-proclaimed Grey's Anatomy addict, she can't just watch a movie once and she is a firm believer in anything and everything chocolate.