This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

First, I want to preface this article by saying my avid-reader, bookworm days aren’t with me right now. I’m not digesting multiple books a week like I used to; my daily life just doesn’t allow it. If I’m really honest, my mental health has made it increasingly hard to pick up a book the last few years. It hasn’t been as easy to enjoy things like reading like I used to, but I’m slowly coming back to it as I work on myself.

Here are a few books that have helped me out of my rut that could help you, too. Or they may seem interesting enough to add to your every-growing TBR pile (your welcome). My TBR list is too long for my own good, so I might as well add a few suggestions for everyone else.

Don’t worry, this is a spoiler free zone.

House of Sky and Breath by Sarah J. Maas

This is the second installment of the newest series by Queen Maas. It’s no secret to anyone who knows me that I adore everything this author has written; her first two series, Throne of Glass and A Court of Thornes and Roses, saved me in high school. I have a deep connection with this lady’s work and will continue to spend loads of money related to the worlds she builds.

The world in this series is absolutely thrilling and exciting. While she continues to follow the Fae storyline path and has characters that tend to mirror each other, the stories stay amazing. I am always on the edge of my seat when reading her books and I never expect the turns the stories take. I won’t spoil anything about the storyline here, especially since this is the second book in a series, but I will say I’m so in love with Bryce. So in love. Not to mention the rest of the inspiring women in all these series. I would gatekeep all these powerfully written ladies, but I won’t.

Also, I know this book released early this year but I just picked it up last month and am not finished with it (so no spoilers). I’m still laughing at myself for having pre-ordered it from England just to wait most of the year to read it, but what can you do?

At the end of the day, Maas’s skill has me coming back every time, waiting with baited breath for the next release. Even if I wait a bit to actually commit to the story.

Find a few ways to get the book here.

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab

V.E. Schwab is a genius. I could honestly leave this section with just that and it would suffice.

It took me too long to discover her books, many of which I still have yet to read and are sitting on my desk collecting dust (I do dust occasionally, don’t worry). I recently started this book and love/hate the storyline. It’s a beautiful story so far and a heartbreaking concept. It gives dark academia, gothic vibes and reminds me of the movie The Age of Adaline, all of which I enjoy.

I love a good depressing, unrequited-feelings, strong female lead story. Very sad and juicy.

Find this popular story here.

City of Bones by Cassandra CLare

This is an oldie, but a goodie. I decided to reread this one (again) since it’s been so long since I last picked it up. This will forever be a series that stands the test of time for me, no matter what people say about tropes or anything. The world of Shadowhunters is truly unique, exciting and devastating: a good little trio for a bookworm.

If you like the TV series, don’t talk to me; at least the earlier movie adaptation had a fair bit of references to the book.

Cassandra Clare is another author whose works I will always adore. The worldbuilding is exceptional and the characters are among my absolute favorites. Jace and Will have my heart.

If you somehow missed this series when it was trending in the 2010s, you need to grab your debit card and buy the first book now. Find it here.

I think it’s safe to say I’ve got too many book character crushes, but that may just be a trait of being an avid reader with mental issues. Reading is escapism and connection. It’s relaxation and introspection. It’s seeing yourself in characters and stories that aren’t so made up. It’s emotional and euphoric. It’ll make you ugly cry and smile wide.

It’s so beautiful what words can do, even more so with what authors can do with them.

Reading isn’t for everyone. That’s okay. Sometimes, reading isn’t as easy to enjoy as it once was or as easy to do. That’s okay, too.

It’s okay to not be able to read as much as you used to, or to barely have read anything on your TBR list. Keep adding books to the pile, anyways. You’ll get to them when you can.

If you’re in a reading rut, start small or grab a classic you know you love. Read a little bit each day and eventually turning those pages will get easier. You’ll be grabbing your next book in no time. If you’re not in a rut, the only thing to worry about is your bank account after having to go buy some more books. Either way, more stories are in your future, and what a brilliant future that is!

Laura Rohrer

South Carolina '23

Laura is an environmental science major and mass communications minor at UofSC. She's involved in the mountaineering club, Sierra club, book club, WUSC-FM university radio station and Her Campus! In her (limited) free time, she loves playing with her puppy Moose and spending time with friends. She's also super into fashion and thrifts like a maniac. She never stops moving and lives exclusively on coffee and Chipotle.