Maria Valerio ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Maria Valerio is a junior at USC who doesn’t fall flat from talented. She is the business manager and upcoming fall 2016 president of The Cocktails, the only all-female acapella group at USC. Take a look into her busy life!

Name: Maria Valerio

Major: Political Science, Journalism Minor

Year: Junior

Hometown: Columbia, SC

How did you get into singing acapella?

Music has always been a really big part of my life. Both of my parents are professors at USC, I was in chorus in high school and played instruments ever since I was little. During my freshman year there was something missing from my life. My mom had always heard the Cocktails sing and would say how awesome they were so I decided to audition. I was really nervous first semester so I waited until second semester and made it! My voice is extremely low and slightly manly and they needed a bass, so it turned out perfectly.

What is your favorite song that you’ve ever covered?

“The Way You Make Me Feel” by Michael Jackson. We turned it into a jazzy version, and I have this awesome scatting solo.

What’s your favorite USC memory so far?

To sing for President Pastides and his amazing wife, Patricia. Around Christmas time he’ll give us all personalized gifts and it’s really cool. Other than that, we recently competed in an acapella competition and won the quarterfinals! That means we advance to the semi-finals on April 2nd, which is right here in Columbia! This is an opportunity I wouldn’t have had if I didn’t join the Cocktails.

Favorite Food?

Pasta. Lots of pasta with a really good salad.

Favorite movie?

Does a Netflix show count? Definitely House of Cards.

What’s one thing you could never live without?

My laptop. Without that I would have to read a lot more books, which I also read on my laptop. Or candles. Or cats. OR wine.

What’s on your college bucket list?

I would love to make another album with Cocktails before I graduate, compete again, and take more weekend adventures. If I can get work off…

Check out the cocktails on their website or come see them at ICCA finals on April 2nd at Dreher High School, located at 3319 Millwood Ave in Columbia. 

Haley Nelson

South Carolina

Haley Nelson is a full-time student, part-time yogi, and professional Amazon shopper. She is a South Carolina native who dreams of traveling anywhere and everywhere. Follow Haley on Instagram at @haynelsonx.
SC Contributor

South Carolina