Wellness

Journey to becoming my best self, here’s how you can too.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

With a New Year comes new resolutions and a plethora of motivation to become “that girl.” We make New Year’s resolutions and promises that we tend not to keep. Here are the steps that I’m taking to make sure that I follow through with the goals that I set for myself in 2024.

• Creating Goals:
    • Creating goals can be hard, but if you ones that are meaningful, specific, and achievable, it can be a helpful resource to becoming the person that you want to be. When creating my goals for 2024, I typed out different categories for the goals I wanted to achieve. For example, one category I had on my list was financial, I wrote all of my financial goals for 2024 in that section. Starting with categories helped me become more specific about setting goals for the year. In each category, I thought of all the goals that align with that category and I wrote them all down. After the broad goals were written out, I spent some time on each goal thinking about the steps that I could take to get there. I took this step further by creating routines and schedules that I would ideally follow. Thinking about the specific steps to achieve my goals made them feel more achievable.
  • Making a Vision Board:
    • Now that you have set all of the goals that you would like to achieve in 2024, now it’s time to visualize it. I created my vision board on Pinterest, but you can use whatever works best for you. I searched pins on Pinterest that align with my goals and added them to a board that is visible to only myself. I added a couple pins for each goal to give me a plethora of motivation. After adding all of the pins that align with my goals, I added some motivational quotes to keep me motivated and to help me when I feel down about my goals.
  • Find Motivational Resources:
    • From self-reflection on my past New Year’s resolutions, I realized how hard it was for me to stay motivated. With this realization, I decided to find different resources to use if I ever needed a pick-me-up. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos about self-help and self-love that I can go back to if I need it. I downloaded Spotify to create playlists with music that radiates positivity and happiness. I picked songs that make me want to dance or remind me of things that make me happy. I picked podcasts that I would like to listen to for a good laugh or a break from reality.
  • Expect Mistakes:
    • For a long time, I thought that as soon as the ball dropped that I would achieve all of my goals and it would be a quick transformation. I realized that the way that I was thinking wasn’t reasonable. I wasn’t giving myself the chance to make mistakes and learn from them. I was stressing about being perfect rather than on my goals themselves. This year, I keep telling myself that change takes time, and I can’t just switch to never having bad habits.

These methods worked for me, but they may not work for you. You are the only person who truly knows who you are. Be kind to yourself when creating goals and new year’s resolutions. Goal setting and making choices is hard, but I hope these help you reflect on what you want and give you motivation for 2024.

Julia Avitabile

South Carolina '26

Julia Avitabile is the vice president of Her Campus at South Carolina chapter. She is also a writer for Her Campus at South Carolina. She organizes meetings and partnerships for Her Campus at South Carolina. She also writes articles for Her Campus at South Carolina regularly. Julia is currently a sophomore at the University of South Carolina majoring in Elementary Education. In her free time, Julia likes to read, watch movies, and hang out with friends and family. She loves playing card games and supporting her siblings in all of their accomplishments.