This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

After making its way onto an abundance of brunch menus and seemingly into every influencer’s daily breakfast, it is evident that avocado toast has made a name for itself over the years. Despite avocado toast flooding the Instagram feeds of millions for a couple of years now, it doesn’t look like this trendy breakfast is going anywhere anytime soon. Because it seems that avocado toast is here to stay, it is time for you to step up your game and conjure up a signature avocado toast recipe. Take these steps as your unofficial guide to arguably the most Instagram-able breakfast. 

Pick your base

You are going to want to pick out your favorite bread as a base for your toast. Some popular ones are sourdough, brioche, whole grain, or just plain white bread. Technically the dish is called avocado “toast” for a reason, but don’t think you are limited to a traditional slice of toast as a base. Hash browns, sweet potato, bagels, and rice cakes are all valid options. The possibilities are endless, so choose a base that works best for you.

spice it up

You could go plain with your avocado spread, but consider seasoning your avocado to spice things up. Spices that tend to pair well with avocado toast are salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, turmeric, Italian seasoning, and the classic everything bagel seasoning. If you want to take your toast a step further, consider adding a squeeze of lemon or lime to add some acidity.

Choose your toppings

This is where you can really get creative with your toast. Try adding some proteins such as an egg, chickpeas, or cheese to boost the nutritional value as well as the flavor. You can also add your favorite fruits, vegetables, and spreads such as spicy honey or fig jam.

The combinations of avocado toast are endless, so have fun with it and cater it to exactly how you like it. Happy brunching!

Jenna Marandola

South Carolina '24

Jenna is a junior public relations major at the University of South Carolina. She is a foodie and hopes to travel anywhere and everywhere. She loves cooking and is always down for a trip to the beach.