Career > Work

How to Multitask a Job and College: A Girl’s Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

While this is not an easy task, it is a route most college students have to take for paying off tuition, starting a career, and making money on the side.

Through my four years of college, I have worked two jobs (40 hours) a week and balanced it alongside school. So here is my girl’s guide on how to make some extra money, pay your bills, or build work ethic within a college curriculum!

free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

Considering the conversation around working in college, there are a few aspects that need to be taken into account:

1. The Schedule:

• The most important part of creating a work/college balance is making sure that you allot enough time for yourself in between. Most of the time college takes 15 hours out of your week, if you average 5 classes.
  • My best advice is to choose a MWF(Monday/Wednesday/Friday) or a T/TH(Tuesday/Thursday) split. Having classes on a certain set schedule for college classes allows you to have time to create a cohesive work schedule, all while giving yourself a day off.

2. The Social Implications:

• While having a work/college split is beneficial to making money and getting a degree, there will always be a need for social time. Having a full schedule often makes it hard to have an active social life, but there are ways to combat this.
  • By carving out time before/after classes and shifts, there is time to spend being social. An effective work schedule can be anywhere from 10/15/20/30/ or even 40 hours, so it is all about what works best for you.
  • Are you working a job that requires mornings or nights? By reconstructing the day around your work schedule, you can make plenty of time to socialize outside of work and school.

3. Coursework vs. Work-work:

• While school takes up plenty of time as is, there is always hours and hours of homework and studying that goes into a degree. Therefore, you need to juggle both classwork and the hours you put forth into a job.
  • By creating an itemized agenda of what relevant coursework is needed throughout the week on top of work, you can plan out a decent spread of work.

4. Avoiding Burn-out:

• As someone who is “on” 7 days a week, burn out is a STRUGGLE!! Therefore, you need to make sure to take some you time. Make sure to take time for your hobbies, eating well, and maintaining sleep.
  • If you can, take plenty of time for yourself and make sure to take time off. If you need a mental break, ask for a week of less hours or work on schoolwork in advance. You are so much more than college and a job!

“Success is not accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do.”

– Pele

While having a job in college is not always an option, there should still be plans in place in case of mental health issues, school difficulties, and/or a personal problem.

• Make sure to communicate! If you need anything, keep in mind it is just a job! You can always find another, but they should look out for your best interest.

Enjoy Working! This Girl’s Guide SUPPORTS You!

Anna Henderson

South Carolina '24

Anna Grace is a Junior English major and Education minor at the University of South Carolina. She is extremely passionate about literature and information access and hopes to pursue a career in teaching one day!