Career

How to Get Ahead: 5 Ways To Stand Out to Employers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

In today’s competitive job market, simply meeting the job requirements may not be enough. Employers are looking for candidates who stand out. In this article, I list five effective ways to distinguish yourself from the rest of the competition. 

1. Fix Up Your Linkedin 
  • Being a business student, everybody uses Linkedin and stresses the importance of having a well put together profile. However, I have noticed that students in other majors don’t understand the importance of marketing themselves and having a good Linkedin Profile. Many hiring managers use Linkedin in order to get a better feel of your personality and experience. It is also an amazing tool in order to find jobs, interact with associates from your favorite companies, and stay updated with former colleagues or employers. 
  1. Send Follow Up Emails 
  • The work isn’t done after the interview. Post interview, send a follow up email to express your gratitude to show appreciation for the interviewer’s time. If you haven’t heard anything back after about two weeks, send another email to show you’re still interested in the position. This will keep your name in their mind. 
  1. Join a Business/Major Related Fraternity 
  • There’s usually at least one fraternity on campus for those in your major. This is a great way to network and make connections. It’s a community that can support you as all members usually have similar interests and goals as you. At University of South Carolina there are several fraternities which you can see below. These are just a few of several fraternities on campus.
  1. Build A Portfolio Website
  • For more creative majors, this is a great way to show off your work. Potential employers can gain insight into your capabilities and style. It’s an incredible way to stand out and impress employers with what you can do. 
  1. Start Your Own Business
  • Not trying to fuel the hustle culture that’s so prominent these days, but starting a new business is an incredible accomplishment. Entrepreneurship not only demonstrates initiative but also showcases your ability to navigate challenges. It’s a powerful experience that shows your dedication and resourcefulness, making you a strong asset for other business employers.
Avona Le

South Carolina '25

Hi! I'm the Editor in Chief at the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter. I oversee all articles published by our chapter and even write some of my own! I'm currently a junior at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, majoring in Marketing and Finance with a concentration in Business Analytics. I want to pursue a career in marketing analytics or market research. In my free time, I love to try new restaurants, hang with friends and go on walks. I am always down to catch an amazing view of the sun or the stars!