How to be the “Queen of Hearts” this Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

The Queen of Hearts is much more than a single card in a deck — it’s an attitude. Being on queen-behavior is more than how rich or regal you are, or even whether you have a king beside you. It’s all about having that quality that attracts lightness and ease. As Princess Mia in The Princess Diaries: 2 says, “My grandmother has ruled without a man at her side for quite some time, and I think she rocks at it.”

If you’re single this Valentine’s Day, here’s how to own the day and embrace the Queen of Hearts attitude. Who knows, maybe this holiday will become one of your favorites to celebrate.

What to do:

Spend your time doing activities you enjoy and find happiness in! Give yourself a little extra time for your hobbies that you may not find regularly during the week. You might crochet some new mittens, practice yoga, journal, create a vision board, or make a home-cooked meal with some friends. Or, you can even curl up with a fuzzy blanket and your favorite book and just relax. You could try reading Everything I Know About Love by Dolly Alderton, which is a humorous memoir about discovering your worth. End the day off with a warm bath and some good music. However you enjoy your time, hold on to the good energy and say “peace out” to the bad.

What to wear:

The best guide for what to wear is, honestly, you. What do you feel confident in? What colors make you happy? You could go the traditional Valentine’s route of wearing pink and red (bonus if you have anything with hearts), or you can choose different colors, like blue or green, that make you feel more confident. Remember, it’s not the colors you wear on Valentine’s Day that matter most, it’s how they make you feel. But, comfort is also key. This might look like wearing a matching sweat set instead of a mini skirt, or boots instead of heels. However, you can mix and match the components of confidence and comfort any way you want. Example: if you’re going out, you could wear a dress with Uggs and a hoodie.

All about that attitude:

If you haven’t caught it by now, the “Queen of Hearts” attitude is all about self-love! Loving yourself leaves an irrepressible sense of confidence. Unlike how romantic relationships can end, your relationship with yourself lasts forever. So, the time and energy you dedicate to making yourself happy and whole will always be worth your time. And don’t forget, queen behaviors need practice. Everyday, and especially on Valentine’s Day, use some time to blossom into your version of the “Queen of Hearts” attitude. Cue “Love Myself” by Hailee Steinfeld.

Happy Valentine’s Day to all the Queens of Hearts out there. You deserve a love-filled day, no matter the time of year. Extend the “Queen of Hearts” attitude to your everyday life, and attract the light and luck the world has to offer. Happy celebrating you!

Grace Wilson

South Carolina '25

Grace is the senior editor for Her Campus at The University of South Carolina. There, she writes and edits articles weekly and enjoys working with the team of creative and empowered women. Beyond Her Campus, she is a junior at the University of South Carolina, majoring in English with mass communications and law studies minors. Grace is passionate about using her writing skills as a tool to make a positive impact and enjoys volunteering in her community. In her free time, Grace enjoys practicing yoga, baking snickerdoodles, and watching figure skating. As an out-of-state student, she has explored SC by going on walks while listening to Taylor Swift.