This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Black Friday is coming up! I love Black Friday shopping as much as the next girl, but there have definitely been times where I over consumed due to the excuse of shopping on sale. Overconsumption is not sustainable for the environment as it ultimately means that more clothes and items will be thrown away as a result, leading to increased pollution. Overconsuming can also make you spend more money than you need to, which can mess with your long-term financial goals.

After returning home with items I regretted buying in the past, I plan on approaching sales differently this year. Here are some tips and tricks to use while shopping to avoid overconsumption this Black Friday season.

Research Sales in Advance

Walking around the mall on Black Friday can be incredibly busy and overwhelming, and the giant signs in store windows advertising “50% off everything” can definitely catch your attention. So it’s important to have a plan while Black Friday shopping, and stick to it. In order to get the best deals, learn which stores are having sales on items you want to purchase. Knowing where there are good deals for you is important and can save you a lot of time and energy when it comes to shopping on Black Friday. This can save you from impulsively buying items that you may regret later.

Shop For Others

For college students shopping on a budget, this tip is key: start your holiday shopping! What better way to extend the spirit of Thanksgiving than buying presents for others? Be sure to take advantage of sales to help budget your gift-giving money. Also, if you’re buying online, buying early ensures that you get your packages with time to spare. Buying gifts for others will help facilitate a more organized and focused shopping day, while also distracting you from on-sale items that you don’t really need.

Beware of Low Prices

I love seeing low prices when I go shopping—who doesn’t? But flashy sales store signs or email advertisements can persuade consumers to buy things they otherwise wouldn’t have been in the market for. Low prices and big discounts may lead to impulse buying because shoppers want to catch the deal before it’s gone. I often use the Do I love it? or Would I buy it full-price? questions to decipher whether or not a purchase is valid.

Embrace that Thanksgiving Energy

Black Friday shopping can be so fun, but it’s funny how it falls on the day after Thanksgiving. While shopping, ask yourself: What are some things I’m thankful for? Asking this question and reminding yourself of what you already have may challenge you to consider your purchases more carefully. Carrying the vibe of Thanksgiving into Black Friday shopping can help you reduce your consumption and even make it easier to ignore sales that would entice you to overbuy.

Grace Wilson

South Carolina '25

Grace is the senior editor for Her Campus at The University of South Carolina. There, she writes and edits articles weekly and enjoys working with the team of creative and empowered women. Beyond Her Campus, she is a junior at the University of South Carolina, majoring in English with mass communications and law studies minors. Grace is passionate about using her writing skills as a tool to make a positive impact and enjoys volunteering in her community. In her free time, Grace enjoys practicing yoga, baking snickerdoodles, and watching figure skating. As an out-of-state student, she has explored SC by going on walks while listening to Taylor Swift.