Callie Thompson: USC’s Newest Homecoming Royalty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Hometown: Richmond, VA            

Year: Senior

Major: Finance, Risk Management & Insurance, Human Resource Management

Organization represented in Homecoming: Chi Omega

What made you decide to run for Homecoming Queen?

Because Chi Omega does a nomination system, it wasn’t really my decision. I was surprised when I found out that I was going to be representing our organization, but I was also excited because I thought it sounded like a lot of fun!

What do your responsibilities as Homecoming Queen entail?

My required responsibilities mostly consist of public appearances at various events during the week of Homecoming. In a broader sense, the Homecoming Queen is also expected to act in a way that favorably reflects the values of the university. That being said, I have never been the type of girl who could sit back and watch the world around her unfold. My hope is to represent the student body on this campus in a positive way. I realize that not many people get the opportunity to have a platform like this and when it is all said and done, I want to be able to say that I made a difference to this school.

Do you have any “behind the scenes” insight on what showcase was like for the competitors this year?

This was a different year than most. Due to the tragic events that struck our community barely a week before showcase was set to begin, there were many adjustments that had to be made to the Homecoming schedule. Since the university was closed due to the contaminated water supply, we were unable to have any meetings or rehearsals where we were supposed to learn what to do during the event. This meant that the contestants had to be flexible since the only time we had to rehearse on stage was a few hours before showcase began. It was stressful at the time, but everything worked out in the end!

How did it feel the minute you found out you had won?

It was a surreal moment. I do not remember much because I think I blacked out for about 30 seconds from being so overwhelmed. It was a very humbling experience that made me realize how extremely blessed I am.

What was the most difficult part of the Showcase competition for you?

It was difficult for me to decide on a talent. Most of the things that I would describe myself as “talented” in are not stage performances. My friends teased me beforehand saying that I should go up on stage and teach the audience how to make a budget, or lecture them on the proper use of credit cards. Deciding to do the Dirty Dancing Finale was a decision that I made late in the game and my partner and I did not have much time to practice. Luckily, we picked it up pretty quickly and both of us decided we were going to just go out there and have fun- which we did!

What is something most people don’t know about you?

I am obsessed with everything French. It drives my roommate absolutely crazy! When I decided to study abroad in Paris almost a year ago, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I had taken six years of Spanish and knew next to nothing about the city. Adjusting to the language barrier was difficult at first, but the experience ended up being one of the most rewarding of my entire life. Now that I am back in the States, I love anything that reminds me of that period in my life.

How do you feel like you have grown through this experience?

Before I began this journey, I was nervous to put myself out there. It is always scary to step out of your comfort zone because you are afraid of what others will say or think about you. In just the few short weeks of this competition, I felt my self-confidence soar. It is one of those things that you look back on and say “wow, I can’t believe I actually did that”. It will definitely be one of the highlights of my college career.  

What are your plans after graduating?

In the next five years, my two most pressing goals are to find a job that interests me and to obtain my CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) certification. The CFA program consists of three levels of exams in addition to a minimum of four years of qualified work experience in the investments industry. I plan to take the level one exam the first week of June 2016, after graduating from USC. It is important to me to gain this certification early on in my career since it is such a demanding program. One of the reasons this certification is so appealing is because it holds renowned international significance and I hope to one day have the chance to move abroad again.

Congratulations Callie on winning the Homecoming crown, we wish you the best in the future!

Sophomore international business and marketing major at the University of South Carolina. Originally from New Jersey
Kristina Zagame

South Carolina

Born and raised right outside the great city of Boston. Senior at the University of South Carolina. Major: Broadcast Journalism. Minor: Sport and Entertainment Management. Interests include traveling, storytelling, and trying to squeeze in naps. Biggest pet peeve: being told, "no." Instagram & Twitter: @kzagame GO COCKS!