Mirepoix
Mirepoix
Shun Matsuhashi / Spoon
Wellness > Health

Best Recipes to Put You in the Fall Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Fall is undeniably one of the most comforting times of year – the perfect chill in the air, burnt leaves on the ground, and the upcoming holidays make for something so soothing. My personal favorite part of autumn will always be the food. There are certain recipes that are just the “chef’s kiss” of cozy fall meals. Below are just a few of my most adored fall recipes…

Butternut Squash Soup 

Courtesy of loveandlemons.com, this butternut squash soup is the perfect blend of creaminess and comfort. It’s easy to make and the perfect recipe to let simmer on the stove all day while you cozy up with a book.

You’ll need:

~2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

~1 large yellow onion, chopped

~½ teaspoon sea salt

~1 (3-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed

~3 garlic cloves, chopped

~1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage

~½ tablespoon minced fresh rosemary

~1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger

~3 to 4 cups vegetable broth

~Freshly ground black pepper

Instructions:

1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, salt, and several grinds of fresh pepper and sauté until soft, 5 to 8 minutes. Add the squash and cook until it begins to soften, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes.
  2. Add the garlic, sage, rosemary, and ginger. Stir and cook 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant, then add 3 cups of the broth. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the squash is tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
  3. Let cool slightly and pour the soup into a blender, working in batches if necessary, and blend until smooth. If your soup is too thick, add up to 1 cup more broth and blend. Season to taste and serve with parsley, pepitas, and crusty bread~

White Chicken Chili

This recipe has been a family-favorite for as long as I can remember. Creamy and with the perfect amount of spice, the aroma of white chicken chili brings me back to fall days as a young child. This is a simple recipe that you’ll want to save and make for every day this fall!

You’ll need:

~1 tablespoon olive oil

~1 small yellow onion, chopped

~1 jalapeno, minced

~2 gloves garlic

~1 teaspoon oregano

~1 teaspoon cumin

~2 4.5-ounce cans green chilis

~5 cups chicken broth

~2 15-ounce cans white beans

~½ cup sour cream

~3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

~Fresh cilantro, chopped

~¼ cup shredded Monterey Jack

Instructions:

1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeno, cook about 5 minutes (until soft.) Add garlic, cumin, and oregano until fragrant. Add green chilis, chicken, and broth. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered until chicken is tender.
  2. Shred chicken and return to pot. Add white beans and bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in sour cream.
  3. Garnish with cilantro and cheese (and tortilla chips if you’d like!)

Pineapple Bread Pudding

If I could bottle up Thanksgiving and autumn into one amazing dish, it would be this one. If you’ve never tried it, don’t knock it. The combination of sweet pineapple and bread crisped to perfection on top is my absolute favorite thing. My grandmother has perfected this plate and it’s one to make this holiday season. Here is her recipe…

You’ll need:

~4 eggs

~¼ pound margarine 

~1 cup sugar

~1 can crushed pineapple (in juice)

~6 slices bread, diced

Instructions:

1. Beat together eggs, margarine, and sugar. Add pineapple and bread.
  2. Pour into greased casserole dish and bake from 45-60 minutes at 350 degrees, or until the top is brown.

Tasty Bite® Indian Channa Masala

Not only are home-cooked meals one of the coziest parts of fall, but also are the spices that come with it. As college students, we don’t always have kitchens at our disposal, but I’ve found something that brings autumn coziness anywhere. Tasty Bite’s Channa Masala – a flavorful curry consisting of chickpeas with tomato, onion, and spices – has become one of my favorite snacks this year. Pre-packed and ready to heat up, you can either make it in the microwave or on the stovetop. 

You’ll need:

~One package of TastyBite’s Indian Channa Masala (& that’s it!)

Instructions:

1. Heat and enjoy! Simple as that :)

If you want to make it a larger meal, you can also serve it with flatbread or Tasty Bite® Rice.

Sarah Heyman

South Carolina '24

Sarah is the social media manager and a writer for the South Carolina Her Campus chapter. She manages all social media and posts content for her chapter. Sarah also writes editorial articles regularly. Sarah is a senior at the University of South Carolina studying Marketing. In her free time, Sarah likes to work out, spend time with family, and try new foods.