Why SSU Should Have More Blue Emergency Lights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

You never think you are going to be in the position where you will need the help of an authority right away before things get violent and escalate. That is, until it actually happens to you or someone close to you. My roommate, Kelsey Flores, was in a situation last year where the Blue Lights on campus helped in a rough situation. She was walking back to her dorm with a friend when they saw a couple fighting with each other. They waited to make sure everything was okay but within few minutes the boy grabbed the girl’s arm and kept trying to pull her towards him. It was more than obvious that she was resisting. She tried running away but he kept grabbing her and pulling her back. When my roommate Kelsey realized that he was trying to force her into a car, she pushed the Blue Light as a call for help.

Pushing the Blue Light was a success and she is glad that she did not hesitate to push it. Within two minutes or less, a police car was on it’s way and luckily, they arrived before things got worse. The Blue Lights are efficient and can even help save a life, which is why there should be more of these stations around campus.

A large number of classes here at Sonoma State University don’t end until 9 or 10pm. For those living on campus, the walk to Tuscany or Cabernet may not seem too far, but it does feel far when it is almost pitch black outside. Many students have class at the art building which is one of the furthest buildings away from the dorms. If they happen to have a night class and have to walk back to their dorm by themselves then having more Blue Lights can help them feel safe. I live in Tuscany and have one of these night classes, on my way back home, I pass by one Blue Light and that is it. If I felt unsafe and felt like I needed the help of an authority, I would need to sprint to one of the villages and then worry about finding the Blue Light. This doesn’t seem too convenient, does it?

With our budget expanding, according to Kate Chavez the Executive Vice President of Associated Students, I think adding more Blue Lights on campus would be a great thing to invest in. Not only would it benefit all students, but it would make students feel safer. And in the case of someone feeling unsafe or threatened, they will have the option to press the Blue Light to get help. These Blue Lights should be placed on common pathways that students take like the one from the recreation center to Ives as well as around the art building because of how dark and isolated it is at night. There should be Blue Lights around on campus housing. Each of the housing complexes are large, and I think there should be at least one Blue Light in every village so that in the case of an emergency they know they can quickly call for help.

Would having more Blue Lights make you feel more safe around campus? Or do you think the money should be invested in something else? Let us know what you think and stay safe out there!

Edith Ayala is currently a third year at Sonoma State University. She was raised by a Salvadoran family in the heart of Los Angeles from 1996-2014. In 2014, she moved to Rohnert Park to attend school. She is a Computer Science major and plans on working for Google at some point of her life. Edith likes to write about situations that she has been in, in a way her readers can relate to.
Carly is one of the CCs for Sonoma State University, and she is majoring in communications and minoring in sociology. She grew up in southern California, and even though she misses the warm beach, she really enjoys living in wine country in northern CA. She has always had a passion for writing and is so grateful that Her Campus allows her to share that love and encourage others to join in the fun.