Tips for Maintaining Senior Year Optimism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Optimism? What? 

Since my freshmen year of college, I was ready to be a senior. I was ready for all of the excitement, all of the memories, and all of the friends I would come to receive during my four years at school. What freshman me wasn’t anticipating? All of the nerves and anxiety that the year was bound to bring. 

So here we are…

The third week of senior year. 

I am currently at a point where I want to rip my hair out but also bounce around and cheer because my undergraduate experience is coming to an end. 

So how do you remain optimistic while tackling the hardest year of college to date?

Well I’ve created a helpful guide to keep all of us seniors in check while we take on the final stretch here at SSU. 

1) Breathe. I’m being for real about this. College isn’t a race, its a marathon and we’re almost done. It’s going to be okay and we’re going to make it. 

2) Go out. Cherish the events that you get to go to one last time because it won’t be the same! Go out to the party, go out to the weekday food specials at restaurants, and just take the time to enjoy things.

3) Remind yourself how far you’ve come! If you consider pre-school, we’re getting close to completing 18 continuous years of school. That is a milestone that shouldn’t be taken lightly! Remind yourself how awesome you are!! 

4) Make a SSU bucket list with all of the things that you’ve been wanting to do and haven’t had the time to do yet! Eat lunch at Overlook, go to Toga (which is tonight) or do anything that will get you out of your comfort zone! 

5) Take advantage of the free amenities that the school offers while you can. On campus we have a health center, CAPS, and outdoor activities section of the REC, a dining hall, and so many other services that we’ll have to pay for in just a few short months.

6) Keep your planner and schedule up to date! If you get into a routine now for doing work and all the other responsibilities you have, you’ll be able to keep it going as the year gets harder. We should all be having as much fun as possible while remembering what we’re all here trying to accomplish.

7) Keep calm and drink wine! If you’re of age, you should take advantage of the fact that we live in Sonoma county around so many vineyards and wineries for us to try! Make a day or a weekend out of it with your fellow seniors! 

8) Start getting a little more serious about your postgrad plans, what ever the plan may be. Start to form an idea about where you’re going to be come graduation and continue to keep your eyes on the prize! 

9) College is hard, so make sure to continuously treat yo self! Make room in your schedule to do the things that make you happy! 

10) The final tip, GET READY FOR GRAD!!!! We are almost there and graduation is around the corner. Take the time to be grateful for all of the wonderful people you’ve met while here at Sonoma State and all of the memories you’ve made! We will always be a part of Noma Nation! 

So here’s to us! 

The class of 2017. 

If we can get through the 2012 apocalypse, we can make it through senior year! 

253 days to go!

Kristianna Mitrick or "Kristi" for short is a full time student and part time rapper at Sonoma State University. She studies what she calls "how to be president of the United States" while others just simply call it Political Science. She's a member of Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, an over-opinionated political commentator, self declared "not-so-funny" comedian and burrito enthusiast. Hailing from San Jose, CA, she can never pass up an ice cream sandwich from C.R. E. A. M., and loves driving on highway 9. In her free time, Kristi is most likely stressing out about her life, listening to 90's alt rock and binge watching House of Cards.
Contributor account for HC Sonoma