Sonoma State Campus Cutie: Matt Hardeman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Matt Hardeman, a SSU Communications student, has had opportunities like no other SSU student has received on campus.  During Hardeman’s first couple years here at SSU, a loving uncle donated a substantial sum of money to his parents in order to help fund his education.  Withthis money, Hardeman chose to travel and broaden his horizons, something every young person should consider have a chance to do.

In the fall of 2005, he chose London as his destination and he spent a semester living there and experiencing the culture.  “You know at that point in my educational career, I wanted a change,” said Hardeman.   “My life got kind of static, I had been in Sonoma for a year and a half and I just wanted to get the hell out of the U.S.”

While studying in London, Hardeman was able to travel throughout England visiting family as well as make his way over to Ireland, Scotland, Paris, Amsterdam and Poland.  Luckily for Matt, he wasn’t alone.  “One of my best friends decided to study abroad as well,” said Hardeman. “We just decided that London was the spot.” 

Throughout his travel, he learned valuable lessons and gained unique experiences that set him apart from others.  “The farther East you travel, the less English is spoken,” Hardman said.  “So in Poland, I didn’t know the language and I had to use hand gestures to try to communicate.  It really teaches you how to think on your feet.”

This experience really taught him how to be on his own, away from his parents.  “You feel like you’re growing up.  You experience so many different cultures and it opens up the bubble that you live in the U.S and you realize there’s a lot going on outside of  that bubble” said Hardeman.

Although, a trip like this does come with some regrets.  “I wish that I had gone to more places.  I should have forced myself to travel to other countries instead of just doing the same thing in London over and over again,” said Hardeman.

Since this trip, Hardeman has caught the travel bug and has already been thinking about where he would like to go next.  “The wine snob in me would love to go to the south of France and go on a wine tasting trip,” said Hardeman.  “But I would also want to go to Ibiza and just party and not sleep for a couple days.  That would be my one last hurrah after I graduate before I have to dedicate myself to work for the rest of my life.”

Hardeman is currently 26 and looking forward to graduating in May this year.  After growing up in San Francisco his whole life, he came up to Sonoma to start his college education at age 18.  After switching majors, having trouble getting the right classes, and traveling for some time, he is finally finishing up his college career and is hoping to go into the public relationsupon graduation.  He currently lives off campus with his girlfriend.

Alexandra Schwarz is a senior at Sonoma State University located in Northern California. As a Communications major with a double focus in public relations and writing, she hopes to pursue a media career upon graduation in May of 2012. While attending Sonoma State, she has been an active leader for the campus in the Residential Life department in both the dorms and classroom life and was even invited to attend a national leadership conference (NACURH). When she's not managing the Sonoma State Her Campus branch, she spends her time traveling with EF College Break through her internship as a campus manager. She is also an active member in her sorority, Alpha Xi Delta, as well as a public relations intern for an art gallery. Her hobbies include crafting, traveling, reading, dancing, cooking, and trying new things. Fun fact: she has met Darren Criss of Glee!