The Best Thing About Living in Wine Country: Barrel Tasting!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Are you a wino, a beer drinker, or a person who just likes wine because it has alcohol in it?  Well do I have an event to satisfy any and all those desires; Barrel Tasting!

Personally, it is my favorite event that has ever came out of Sonoma County, since it’s beginning in 1978.  Which kind of makes sense seeing how that is when Sonoma County started to make a name for it and “show off” what this area is now well known for.

For all those people who have no idea what I have been talking about; let me give you some background.  The 34th Annual Wine Road Barrel Tasting is an event held in the first two weekends in March that introduces wineries new wines (the barrels) and show off their bottled wines.  

The best part is that it only cost $30 dollars, which gives you access to taste at over 150 wineries for an entire Friday-Sunday weekend.  These 150 wineries, which extend as far North as the tip of Mendocino County and spans all over Sonoma County.  Sometimes the wineries have amazing food for you to sample, which is quite helpful when you are consuming that much wine in a day.

If you have doubts about doing this for the obvious reason that you will need someone to drive, Wine Road has that covered too.  They do offer DD tickets for only 5 dollars where you find a friend willing to attend Barrel Tasting and partake in every activity but the drinking.  If you are unable to find a DD, then you can always rent a bus or a van, which I’ve found to be the best choice.

In the end no matter how you take on this event, I guarantee it’s well worth the money and the experience.  This truly is a “Bucket List” activity that I would highly encourage everyone at Sonoma to start planning in advance. 

Alexandra Schwarz is a senior at Sonoma State University located in Northern California. As a Communications major with a double focus in public relations and writing, she hopes to pursue a media career upon graduation in May of 2012. While attending Sonoma State, she has been an active leader for the campus in the Residential Life department in both the dorms and classroom life and was even invited to attend a national leadership conference (NACURH). When she's not managing the Sonoma State Her Campus branch, she spends her time traveling with EF College Break through her internship as a campus manager. She is also an active member in her sorority, Alpha Xi Delta, as well as a public relations intern for an art gallery. Her hobbies include crafting, traveling, reading, dancing, cooking, and trying new things. Fun fact: she has met Darren Criss of Glee!