5 reasons why Coachella > Mexico for Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Photo Credit: Sandra Borelli

This past weekend I attended the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in Indio, Calif.  I can honestly say that it was one of the best weekends of my life.  Over a three-day period I saw 26 different acts and didn’t stop dancing for more than 20 minutes at a time.  This legendary festival has really come into its own over the past ten years and has become to the go-to spring destination for music/art lovers and celebrities alike.  In addition to the plethora of musical acts performing, the festival features world class art exhibits by artists from around the world, as well as a substantial food selection.

As I contemplated the weekend of my life, I got into a conversation with a friend about the cost of attending Coachella.  He mentioned that it’s pretty expensive and that he would rather spend his money on going somewhere more “spring-breaky” with his limited budget.  Obviously this sent me into a music-lovers fit of rage.  As someone who has done both the spring break thing and Coachella, I know for a certainty that a weekend in Coachella trumps a week in Mexico by a long shot.  With that in mind, I’ve decided to compose a list of five reasons why you should use your money for Coachella and skip the spring break in Mexico:

Lots of partying – Let’s be honest here, most people go to spring break for a little release and a lot of drinking.  Scenes from MTV’s Spring Break are ingrained in all of our brains – swimsuits, drinks, sun and debauchery.  The thing is, you can have all of the swimsuits, sun, drinks and debauchery at Coachella.  The festival is basically a three day party in the desert.  Alcohol isn’t cheap, but it can be easily snuck in via lax security checkpoints.  Coachella will be as crazy as you make it – if your goal is to drink and party it up, the rest assured that your objective will be achieved.

Lots of sun, but with music – One of the best things about spring break is that it lets you know that summer is right around the corner.  While my first day at Coachella was marred by clouds and a bit of rain, the rest of my weekend was filled with 80 degree days and lots of sunshine.  This upcoming weekend, Coachella is expecting 100 degree weather each day.  Sunburns and swimsuits will be in abundance in Indio – you don’t need to leave the state for a sunny and hot spring break.    

Make new friends – This is one of my favorite aspects Coachella.  I met so many amazing people while down in Indio!  Whether it’s a conversation sparked up while waiting in line for the bathroom or a new friend made while hanging in the shade, Coachella gives you a forum to create lasting friendships.   

Be different –   EVERYONE should have a wild and crazy spring break at least once in their lives.  While a week in Cancun might be exactly the type of trip you’re looking for, why not be different?  I can’t tell you how many people have come up to me this week expressing their jealousy for my Coachella weekend.  I can’t remember a single person expressing that same sense of jealousy when I describe my trip to Ensenada. 

You get to see Tupac – This one pretty much speaks for itself.  As someone who grew up as a huge hip hop fan in the 90’s, I remember buying Tupac’s All Eyez On Me from the Wherehouse (remember those?) up the street from me.  Mr. Shakur was tragically taken away from the world back in 96’, and yet the hologram I witnessed at Coachella brought me back to those days.  The nostalgia and shear sense of shock was absolutely numbing. 

This surreal moment may never be duplicated, but that’s not the point – every Coachella for the past few years has had its “Tupac” moment.  Just this year alone Usher decided to appear during David Guetta’s set and Rihanna performed two songs with Calvin Harris.  Each year brings a new lineup and with it, a new chance at amazing surprises.  Don’t miss 2013’s because you wanted to take a watered down body shot off of some fraternity guy you’ll never see again.  Spring break lasts a week but Coachella memories last a lifetime. 

Alexandra Schwarz is a senior at Sonoma State University located in Northern California. As a Communications major with a double focus in public relations and writing, she hopes to pursue a media career upon graduation in May of 2012. While attending Sonoma State, she has been an active leader for the campus in the Residential Life department in both the dorms and classroom life and was even invited to attend a national leadership conference (NACURH). When she's not managing the Sonoma State Her Campus branch, she spends her time traveling with EF College Break through her internship as a campus manager. She is also an active member in her sorority, Alpha Xi Delta, as well as a public relations intern for an art gallery. Her hobbies include crafting, traveling, reading, dancing, cooking, and trying new things. Fun fact: she has met Darren Criss of Glee!