This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Studying abroad in college isn’t for everyone. You have just left your parent’s house (probably) and are just getting the hang of learning to live on your own. Now, someone is telling you to go abroad to perhaps a country that doesn’t even speak your language, maybe even many hours in time change away from your home, which may sound really overwhelming. However, even if the idea of studying away remotely peaks your interest, I definitely recommend you check out your local study abroad office and look into the options available.

…it isn’t as expensive as you may think

Coming from the bay area in California, many things including food and living were cheaper than living in California. However, it depends what country you choose, even if you live in a city. However, when it comes to the actual program, there are different options whether you go for a semester, year or perhaps even a summer, there are options for everyone’s budget.

…make sure to have a goal in mind

In the times being abroad, it’ll be like a rollercoaster. There will be highs and there will be lows. During the lows, you need to remember what brought you abroad in the first place and remember it is all temporary. You need to have a strong goal and purpose for why you are going in order to remind yourself during the difficult times where you find yourself debating about going back home or quitting the experience half way through.

…it’ll make your college experience

Even though I am in my last year of undergrad, thankfully graduating in four years, I cannot imagine to have not studied abroad during my four years at the university. Especially coming from a small town, who then moved to another small town, I decided to test my boundaries and challenge myself to experience life in the city where I studied abroad in Madrid, Spain. Even though a small town vibe will always be my home, there are many things about life in the city that I miss and even though it took me a while to adjust to city life, I miss it so much these days.

…& IT’LL MAKE YOU

If I could go back in time, I would have lived abroad before college. However, everything happens for a reason. Ever since coming back, I feel more grounded in the university and set on where I see myself going whereas before I felt like a wandering wallflower. I was a person that went where the wind took me. Now I direct the ship of my life and feel a better sense of control after having to adapt to life abroad. A sense of certainty and purpose in what I enjoy and dislike. Such as, I learned that I love to dance and solo travel!

You’ve got this, now just go out there and do it!

If you enjoyed this article, check out more below!

8 Things You Do During Finals Week

https://www.hercampus.com/school/sonoma-state/8-things-you-do-during-fin…

7 Stages of the Semester as Told by Grey’s Anatomy 

https://www.hercampus.com/school/sonoma-state/stages-semester-told-greys…

How to Help Your Resume When You Have Little Experience

https://www.hercampus.com/school/sonoma-state/how-help-your-resume-when-…

Hello! My name is Ada, I am a forth year at Sonoma State University studying Spanish Language and Human Development!
Contributor account for HC Sonoma