This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SOAS London chapter.

As a student at SOAS, I have discovered that the diverse community alongside and the diversity of beliefs and cultures on campus make the university experience totally rad! Grad school isn’t just about hitting the books, but also about the connections we make and the opportunities we get to learn from each other.

One of the things that makes the SOAS experience so awesome is the possibility to meet people from different parts of the globe. On campus, I have met students from different countries, backgrounds, and religions. It’s like taking a trip around the world without ever leaving campus! Through conversations with my peers, I have gained a deeper understanding of the world around me and have become more open-minded.

Another aspect that makes university totally groovy is the opportunity to celebrate different cultures and beliefs. There are a variety of cultural clubs and societies at SOAS that host events and activities to showcase different customs and traditions. What’s awesome is that everyone is welcome to attend! From Diwali celebrations to Chinese New Year festivals, these events allow students to come together and learn from each other in a fun and engaging way. It’s like a party every day!

In addition, the diverse community on campus allows for the exchange of ideas and perspectives. In class discussions, group projects, and extracurricular activities, students are able to share their unique perspectives and experiences. This creates a far-out learning environment where students are exposed to different viewpoints and are challenged to think critically.

Furthermore, the diversity on campus fosters a sense of inclusivity and acceptance. Students are encouraged to be themselves and to express their individuality and even challenge the status quos. This has created a welcoming environment where we feel comfortable being who we are and are supported by our peers, as well. It’s like being a part of one big happy family!

In a nutshell, through exposure to different cultures and perspectives, students are able to broaden their horizons and become more open-minded. The opportunity to celebrate different traditions and customs allows us to come together and learn from each other. The exchange of ideas and perspectives creates a far-out learning environment where students are challenged to think critically. Finally, the sense of inclusivity and acceptance on campus creates a welcoming environment where students feel comfortable being themselves.

As a student at SOAS, I am proud to be a part of such a diverse and inclusive community.

Peace out!

Tueurora Kaatahi

SOAS London '23

A creative, Poet, Writer and Fashion & Trends Researcher. Currently pursuing MA Global Creative and Cultural Industries. My mission is to bring Africa to the world and participate in the digital transformative age.