Life > Academics

Procrastination, The Elephant In The Room!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SOAS London chapter.

Hey there, fellow SOASian procrastinators! Are you tired of always leaving things until the last minute and then scrambling to get them done? Do you find yourself scrolling through social media instead of studying for that exam? Well, fear not, because I am here to give you some tips on how to overcome procrastination and make the most of your time!

First things first, let’s acknowledge the elephant in the room — procrastination is the ultimate enemy of productivity. It’s like a cute little devil sitting on your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear, tempting you to put things off until later. But let’s face it, later never really comes, does it?

So, how do you break free from this vicious cycle?

Here are some tried and tested strategies that have worked for me:

1.) Start small:

Break down your tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks. This way, you can focus on one thing at a time and feel a sense of accomplishment as you tick off each item from your to-do list.

2.) Set a timer:

Give yourself a set amount of time to work on a task without any distractions, and then take a break. Repeat this cycle until the task is complete.

This technique, also known as the Pomodoro Technique, can help you stay focused and motivated.

3. Get organised:

Create a schedule or a planner that outlines your tasks and deadlines. This will help you stay on track and avoid last-minute panic.

4. Find an accountability buddy:

Partner up with a friend or classmate and hold each other accountable for completing tasks. Sometimes having someone else to answer to can be a great motivator!

5. Reward yourself:

Set up a system of rewards for yourself when you complete a task or reach a milestone. It could be something as simple as taking a break to watch an episode of your favorite show or treating yourself to a snack.

Now, I know what you’re thinking – “Tueurora…these tips are all well and good, but how do I actually put them into practice?” Well, my dear friends, that’s where the real challenge lies. It takes discipline, commitment, and a bit of self-awareness to overcome procrastination. But trust me, it’s worth it.

Remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day, and neither is a good work ethic. So, take it one step at a time, and don’t beat yourself up if you slip up from time to time. Just dust yourself off and try again.

You got this!

Tueurora Kaatahi

SOAS London '23

A creative, Poet, Writer and Fashion & Trends Researcher. Currently pursuing MA Global Creative and Cultural Industries. My mission is to bring Africa to the world and participate in the digital transformative age.