What to know about Cervical Health Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Recently U.S. Congress announced January 2016 as Cervical Health Awareness Month in bold teal-blue colored ribbons. According to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition (NCCC) the ultimate goal of Cervical Health Awareness Month is to highlight issues related to cervical cancer, human papillomavirus (HPV) and the importance of early detection. While the NCCC promotes events throughout the year, January specifically focuses on working to spread the word about these issues nationally. 

Since the start of the new semester, classes, spring rush and meetings may have impeded learning about Cervical Health Awareness Month; thus, here’s three takeaways the NCCC wants you to know: 

1. Cervical cancer and its impact

The American Cancer Society defines cervical cancer as a disease in which cancer cells develop in the tissues of the cervix. The cervix, the lower part of the uterus which protrudes into the vagina, connects the body of the uterus to the vagina. Factors like genetics, smoking and sexually transmitted disease like chlamydia and HPV increase women’s risk of cervical cancer. It is the secondmost common cancer for women, and nearly all cases of cervical cancer can be linked to HPV.

2. Human papillomavirus (HPV) and its effects

According to the American Cancer Society, HPV is a virus that often causes no symptoms but can cause cervical cancer. It is a virus that most Americans don’t know much about; in fact, it is estimated that at least 50 percent of the reproductive-age population has been infected with one or more types of genital HPV, and an estimated 6 million new infections occur each year. HPV can also lead to anal cancer in both women and men along with other health problems like genital warts, oropharyngeal cancer and recurrent respiratory papillomatosis (RRP). 

3. Both are preventable

Fortunately, with modern day technology and medical advances, diseases like cervical cancer and HPV can be prevented. By going to your doctor for yearly check ups, taking the pap test and striving to live a healthy life with a balanced diet and exercise, you can avoid harming your health. 

To learn more information and support Cervical Cancer Awareness Month, please visit the Ovarian Research Fund website. 

Olivia is a Contributing Writer for Her Campus and a junior at Southern Methodist University. Her intended major is Journalism with a minor in Business Management. At SMU, she is the Managing Editor for SMU Campus Weekly and an associate for the Best Buddies program. In her free time, Olivia can be found eating sushi, cuddling her dog Arlow or working out. Be sure to follow her on Snapchat @livnguyen.
We are the SMU Team.