Top Tips for Taking Tests Online

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

We’ve all gotten to the point of the semester where our professors have started to give a lot of tests. Since a lot of classes are still online, this means we have to take these tests online as well, which can prove a little difficult, in terms of focus and ability to do as well as you would do in person. Here are a few ways to help you out during midterm season!

Put Your Phone Away

I know that whenever my phone is around I have trouble focusing, so putting your phone away from where you are testing can be a good way to eliminate the distraction before it starts. If you have a watch that connects to your phone, it can be good to take it off as well, so you aren’t distracted by texts or any sort of notification.

Find a Nice, Quiet Space to Take Your Test

When taking a test, I know I need a lot of quiet in order to focus so I make sure to plan ahead where I will take my tests. If you have a roommate and can’t get the room to yourself, another great way to get some quiet is to reserve a study room at your library.

Set a Timer for Your Test

Something I always do when I take a test online is I set a timer on my phone (which is put away of course) for five minutes before my test needs to be turned in. It’s a helpful reminder if I am invested in my test and lose track of time.

Set Up Your Testing Equipment Ten Minutes Before Your Test

I always make sure to log in to my canvas page at least ten minutes before an exam and get set up at my desk, that way I am ready exactly when the exam opens, so I have all the time alloted to take the exam. If it’s an open book test, also make sure to get all materials you might need out before you start the test.

Get a Good Night’s Sleep

Okay, so this is also true of in person tests but nothing helps me prepare and be focused more than sleeping well the night before an exam. It’s a great way to start fresh and be alert when taking a test.

There you have it, tips to help with navigating the world of online tests. I hope that you find these tips helpful as we move into midterm season!

Natalie Clark is a junior at Southern Methodist University, majoring in English and Political Science on the Pre-Law track. She is a firm believer in a good nap. In her spare time, she likes to read, play tennis, and hang with friends. Instagram: @natclark424
We are the SMU Team.